The Cornwall Chronicle 6 September 1851 states a licence application from Francis Ansell for Trafalgar Inn in Evandale was refused. Another application by Mr Ansell, for another public house at Evandale was withdrawn in 1852. It appears that such a licensed premises never came into being.
Pubs and Publicans – The Railway Hotel
Karl von Stieglitz (1946) states that William Sidebottom “built a tannery and boot factory—which supplied Government and private contracts—with as many as 25 men working for him, on Fyfe’s Corner, as some of us still call it, opposite where Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Bean now live. This was a wooden building and later occupied by the Halls, who at one time tried to obtain a licence for it as an hotel, but failed.” “Later, Simon Fyfe had his stables there when he ran the coaches, but during his son’s (John) tenancy after Simon’s death, the old place was burnt down.”
The compiler cannot find (at this time) any record of licences having been granted for a Railway Hotel in Evandale nor any such approval to run railway refreshment rooms at the railway station. Certainly, there has been no licence issued from 1892 to the present.
Pubs and Publicans – The Plough Inn
Mr William Sidebottom (died 1849) applied for a licence for the Plough Inn in 1840, but this was refused on the ground of the situation being “very objectionable”. Another application in 1841 was refused.
The Cornwall Chronicle of 2 September 1843 states that a licence application was made by “William Peck, for premises at Evandale. Objected to by Messrs. Wales, Cox and Hartley, as unnecessary.” The application was refused.
The Cornwall Chronicle of 1 August 1846 states that an application was made to transfer a licence held by William Peck for the Plough Inn to Steven Murphy. The transfer was reported in The Britannia and Trades’ Advocate on 13 August 1846 as allowed on 3 August. This suggests that the Plough Inn was licensed to William Peck somewhere between 1843 and 1846.
The Launceston Advertiser of 3 September 1846 reported on the application for renewal of a licence held by “John” (probably Steven) Murphy, for the Plough Inn at Evandale. The hearing was told that Murphy was suspected of Sunday trading. Mr. Breton and Major Wellman spoke to the character of Murphy but Mr Wales said two houses were sufficient for the necessities of Evandale; at the present time there were four. The licence for the coming year was refused.
However, the Launceston Examiner Sat 5 September 1846 reports the hearing slightly differently stating “Mr. Bartley objected to the applicant. He held the license by transfer from Launceston, but the license he originally held had been cancelled by two magistrates for a breach of his recognisance; therefore he transferred a nullity, and was selling illegally.”
This report stated that a Mr. Dry and a Major Wellman spoke well of the applicant’s character but added that a Mr. Collett strongly objected stating the house “had been most disorderly and very improperly conducted.”
Steven Murphy is known to have been granted a licence for a year in October 1845 for the Young Queen Hotel in Launceston but this licence was transferred to a Mr Wicks in 1846 and Mr Wick’s application at the annual renewal hearing of that year was refused on the grounds that the house was ill-furnished and dirty, and strongly suspected of dishonest practices. So it is likely that no licence had been transferred from Launceston as claimed by Mr Bartley and that Murphy was operating on the licence transferred by William Peck.
The Launceston Advertiser of 24 September 1846 reports that Stephen Murphy, of Evandale, put in an appeal about a licensing decision, but did not appear when the matter was called and the matter was therefore not entertained.
Subsequently, the Cornwall Chronicle of 16 December 1846 advertised the following:
“TO BE LET, with immediate possession, together with sixteen acres of land, the dwelling house lately in the occupation of Mr. S. Murphy situate in the improving township of Evandale. The house contains ten sitting and bed rooms, convenient kitchens, stables, sheds, and other outhouses, and an extensive garden attached, is in a good state of cultivation, and the whole would form a desirable situation for a boarding and day school, the neighbourhood being populous and increasing. To a respectable tenant the rent will be very moderate, and the proprietor would be happy if any one required it, to let the house and appurtenances without the land which is bounded by the South Esk River, and is considered one of the best pieces for cultivation in the district. For further particulars, apply to Wm. Sidebottom on the premises, Evandale.”
It seems that with no licence, Murphy departed the scene and the owner of the place, Mr Sidebottom was now endeavouring to set up a different use for the Plough Inn.
The location of the Plough Inn is not known. An advertisement placed in The Cornwall Chronicle on 25 August 1858 stated that Bell and Westbrook had been engaged to sell the Evandale Coaching Establishment belonging to Mr John Hanney who was “proceeding shortly to England” and that this sale was to occur at the “Plough Inn Yards” on 1 September. While this was an Evandale business, it is quite probable that the “yards” referred to were at the Plough Inn in Launceston.
It is noted that The Cornwall Chronicle of 6 October 1849 states that a William Murphy was granted a licence for the Plough Inn in Longford. It is not known if the two Murphys are related.
Licensees of Plough Inn
|1843? – 1846||William Peck|
|1846? – 1846?||Steven Murphy|
Pubs and Publicans – Patriot King William IV (Blenheim Inn)
Blenheim, the imposing building at 16 High Street was by one account (On the Convict Road), commenced in 1826 and another as circa 1832 as a hotel by John Williatt on part of a grant of 36.5 acres of land (or 372 acres according to K Von Stieglitz) on which he also built “The Laurels”. The hotel was first licensed on 29 September 1832 and was called the “Patriot King William IV” after the then reigning sovereign.
The hotel was a rather grand establishment which included an assembly room upstairs that was used for concerts, dancing and a meeting room for the Masonic Lodge and other groups. It was said to also have a skittles alley.
Outbuildings included a brew house, stables and loose boxes, hay loft, blacksmiths, a cottage and accommodation for grooms. Some of these buildings were destroyed by fire; the blacksmith shop and cottage were latter demolished.
Mr Williatt was generally well regarded as a person of good character, however in 1838, he was convicted by the magistrate at Morven, for a breach of the licensing act, in that he kept “open the outer door of his house at improper hours”. Despite an appeal of the conviction, “a patient investigation, confirmed the decision of the magistrates”. One wonders now whether this conviction was just the start of an ongoing stoush between Mr Williatt and the Assistant Magistrate for Morven, Mr Robert Wales because in September 1840, he and Mr Wales had another battle.
In September 1840, Mr Williatt applied for renewal of his publican’s. Mr. Wales objected strongly to a license being granted and in a lengthy speech related in what manner he had been insulted by Mr. Williatt. The Launceston Advertiser of 3 September 1840 reported that Wales said the Williatt was “in the habit of tampering with the constabulary, and by this means raising an opposition against him in his magisterial office, and thereby enabled to violate the laws with impunity”. The report goes on to say “It was impossible, he said, to obtain a conviction against Mr. Williatt on account of the intimacy which existed between him and the constabulary of the district. He also objected to the situation of the house— being so placed that no one could approach it without being observed, by which an opportunity was afforded for allowing the escape of any person improperly tippling upon the premises, he called upon his brother magistrates to support him in his office.
A long discussion here ensued; most of the stipendiary magistrates supported Mr. Wales, and on the other hand Mr. Williatt was strongly supported by Mr. Sinclair, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Stewart, Mr. Bryant, Mr. Sams; all of whom spoke in the highest terms of Mr. Williatt, and, from their own personal experience, bore testimony to the good management, respectability, and accommodation of his licensed house. A document to this effect was also handed in, and read, signed by most of the magistrates in the neighbourhood. The supporters of Mr Williatt did not forget to point out the honourable testimony borne by Mr. Wales as to the efficiency and integrity of the police under his jurisdiction, when he asserted that they were guided more by the frown or the smile of Mr. Williatt, than by the fear of magisterial displeasure, or the hope of magisterial commendation.
After a prolonged discussion, interspersed with loud cries of order and chair, during which time a great deal of confusion took place, inasmuch as, by way (we presume) of getting through the business with greater celerity, every one spoke at once, the question was put to the vote, and Mr. Williatt lost his license by a majority of 12 to 8”.
The Cornwall Chronicle of the 12 September drew the following response by a contributor.
“The conduct of the Magistrate upon the occasion forming a Bench for the granting of Licences to publicans, has been, for the past two or three years, for the most part, unexceptionable; the public is, therefore, the more astonished at the treatment received by Mr. Williatt at the annual licensing day on the 1st of the present month; and, we are quite sure, that every gentleman who sat on that occasion in his official capacity, must sincerely regret having been misled with regard to Mr. Williatt, now the facts of the case have become public.
Mr. Williatt has, for many years, kept the only public-house at Evandale. He is a respectable man, and his house has been remarked as one of the best, if not the best, conducted licensed houses on this side of the Colony. Gentlemen, when travelling have called, have been accustomed to receive to good accommodation at the “Patriot King”, — the house too, being so quiet and “unlike a public-house” that no person hesitates to make it his quarters. It has been quite usual with gentlemen, disposed for recreation for a day or two, to go out to Williatt’s, where they were sure to find the best attention, -the best accommodation-, and actual retirement.
The house is in every way suitable for affording accommodation to travellers and visitors except, perhaps, to those of that class who would consider that house to be the best fitted for public accommodation that afforded the largest tap-room, and in which rioting and debauchery were permitted. Such folk Mr. Williatt had not accommodation for, and, as a matter of course, his house was not patronised by them. Respectable people had nothing to complain of, — but everything to be satisfied with.
Of Mr. Williatt we are borne out in saying, that he has always maintained an independent character — his conduct has been unassuming and just; he lives within his income,— pays his debts— and has an unencumbered estate.
On the Licensing day— when Mr. Williatt’s name was read, as a matter of course, for the renewal of his License—Mr. Robert Wales, the Police Magistrate of Evandale, addressing the Bench, objected to it for stated reasons, which the Magistrates took for granted were correct.
The Bench was bound to credit the assertions made publicly by Mr. Wales, in his capacity of Police Magistrate, and without calling in Mr. Williatt to hear the charges made against him, refused his licence.
Mr. Williatt denies the truth of many of the assertions made by Mr. Wales to the Bench, and attributes his opposition to an ill feeling towards him, Mr. Williatt. Mr. Wales gave as one reason for refusing the License, that he had often summoned Mr. Williatt as a juror on Coroner’s Inquests— that he had never attended and had advised other persons not to attend when summoned. Now, Mr. Williatt states, that he was summoned on three occasions, — the first he attended, and sat as foreman, — on the second he attended, and sat at a juror, — and the third time he arrived at the Inquest too late, for which he made an apology to the Coroner, who laid that his absence was of no consequence, as the jury had easily been made up.
Mr. Williatt moreover asserts, that he had expressed his willingness at any lime to attend on Inquests, and requested he might be called upon at any time when a difficulty existed in composing a jury.
But presuming it to be the fact that Mr. Williatt did refute to attend on inquests, was that a sufficient reason why the public should be denied the accommodation of a respectable and orderly conducted public house at Evandale?
Again. Mr. Wales complained that Mr. Williatt had more authority over the constabulary than he had. — A strange confession for Mr. Wales to make. He also complained of the situation of Mr. Williatt’s house, he said that no one could approach it without being observed, by which an opportunity was afforded for the escape from it of persons improperly tippling. Logical objection that, of the Police Magistrate, and singular too, that the house he proposed to license, (which, by the bye, belongs to the owner of the house Mr. Wales lives in,) should be objected to by another magistrate, because the floor of it was level with the street.
The objections made by Mr. Wales to Mr. Williatt license would have come better from him had he not taken much pains on many occasions to show an unfriendly feeling towards him. We learn from Mr. Williatt, that on one occasion, about 9 o’clock on a, Saturday morning, Mr. Wales went into his tap-room, where he saw a man lying on a bench. Without speaking to any one he went to the Police Office, and shortly returned with a constable, whom he directed to take the man to the watch-house for being drunk. The man, who happened to be sober, refused to be taken into custody, alleging that he was a free man and was sober. Mr. Wales then called for Mr. Williatt and charged him in the Queen’s name to aid and assist to take the man into custody for being drunk, Mr. Williatt refused, as the man was sober and free, unless a warrant or some legal authority was produced for his apprehension.
For this refusal Mr. Wales threatened to take away Mr. Williatt’s license and his assigned servant.
We refrain from commenting on the conduct of Mr. Wales in this affair, understanding that Mr. Williatt has commenced legal proceedings against him for damages.”
As a result of losing his licence, the hotel was operated by Mrs Eleanor Perkins. Her licence was granted by the Court of Quarter Sessions on 2 November 1840 (Cornwall Chronicle 4 November 1840). She attempted to get a licence in Evandale for another hotel when Williatt’s licence was renewed but her bid was unsuccessful.
The person referred to above as the owner of the house where Assistant Police Magistrate Wales lived is Mr Thomas Fall. In 1843, Mr Fall took over the licence for the Patriot King Hotel although the ownership of the building was maintained by Mr Williatt. During his time as licensee, Mr Fall set about constructing his own hotel in Russell Street. The Clarendon Arms, as it is currently known, was completed in 1847 on the site of the old watch house and convict cells. It was first licensed on 2 September 1849, but not until after another legal battle with Mr Williatt had ensued.
The Cornwall Chronicle of 5 September 1849 reported that Mr. Thomas Fall’s application to transfer the “original license” for the Patriot King William IV “to the premises lately erected by him at Evandale” was refused on the ground that the transfer would be injurious to the proprietor of the Patriot King, Mr. Williatt. The lawyer for Mr Fall, Mr. Tarleton argued that “If you reject Fall as an original holder, you must consider him as a new applicant.” This argument was persuasive, so ultimately a new license was granted to Mr. Fall for the Clarendon, and Mr. Williatt’s put in a successful application for the transfer of the original license for the Patriot King back to him.
The Courier of 16 June 1849 carries the following advert –
“To let or lease from 1st September next, 1849 THOSE SUBSTANTIALLY-BUILT , and EXTENSIVE PREMISES situate at Evandale, within 12 miles of Launceston, known as the “PATRIOT KING WILLIAM the FOURTH” Inn; now in full trade. Established in 1832. The house is large and replete with every convenience, and requisite accommodation for a first-rate hotel. Brewhouse, cellar, commodious stabling, loose boxes, coach and harness house, with lofts over the whole. Sheep and cattle yards, and a well of excellent water on the premises. For particulars, and to treat for the same, apply personally, or by letter post-paid, to the undersigned. – JOHN WILLIATT. – Elkington, near Evandale, June 11.”
In May 1853, Mr Williatt transferred the licence for the Patriot King to William Wright. It is thought that Wright held the lease until 1857 at which time the remaining 18 months of the lease was put up for sale (The Cornwall Chronicle 11 April 1857). It appears that Mr John Duffell took up that offer as The Cornwall Chronicle of 23 May 1857 states “Dr Wigan has commenced the practice of his profession at Evandale, and will be found at his rooms, at Mr. Duffell’s, the Patriot King Hotel, from 8 to 11 in the morning.”
Another advert in The Courier on 28 June 1858 shows that Mr Williatt put the hotel out for lease for 5 years and Mr Duffell also took up this lease. John Duffell was still licensee in 1862 although a newspaper of the day gave his name as Duffett. By 1871, his wife, Dinah Duffell had become licensee and would remain so until at least 1874.
In December 1873, Mrs Dinah Duffell, pleaded guilty to having an illicit still in her possession, but in extenuation said she was not aware that it was a still. After more than a decade at a pub, it was highly likely she knew what a still was and what it looked like. She was fined £10 and costs.
In 1884, the property, then known locally as Duffell’s Hotel was put up for sale but apparently was not sold and remained in the Williatt estate. A notice published in the Launceston Examiner of 24 June 1876 by Richard Chugg of the Macquarie Hotel tells us “NOTICE.–As Mrs Duffell has closed the hotel, known as the Patriot King, the undersigned will provide dinners, etc. for the accommodation of the public attending the sales at the above place.”
In the 1890’s the house became the home of David Collins and his family. He was at one time, Warden of Evandale and later became Council Clerk. Karl von Stieglitz states that the Collins family occupied the home for 60 years, however, we know from the Examiner of 8 Aug 1912 that the family did not initially own the property. It was in this year that the estate of the late John Williatt was again put up for sale; “FOR SALE
The following desirable lots, situated in High-street
Lot 4, occupied by Mr. David Collins, 3a. 2r 29p.; large Brick House and Brick Stables; weighbridge on this lot.
Lot 5 “Ingleside,” occupied by Mrs. Hawley, 3a. 1r. 29p.; comfortable W.B. Cottage, Brick Stable, Outhouses; Fruit, Vegetable, and Flower Gardens.
Lot 6-Cottage and Land, 2a. 0r. 16p., adjoining “Ingleside.” Lots 5 and 6 are offered together.”
Summary of Licensees of Patriot King William IV
|1832 – 1840||John Williatt|
|1840 – 1842||Eleanor Perkins|
|1842 – 1843||John Williatt|
|1843 – 1849||Thomas Fall|
|1849 – 1853||John Williatt|
|1853 – 1857||William Wright|
|1857 – 1871||John Duffell|
|1871 – 1874||Dinah Duffell|
Pubs and Publicans – The Macquarie Hotel
The Macquarie Hotel was located on the corner of White Hills Road (Barclay Street) and Macquarie Street and said by von Stieglitz to have been built around same time as Royal Oak (1840). Now the establishment may have been built around this time, but it is likely that it was later, because at a Licensing Board meeting in December 1861 a new license was granted to Mrs. Richards for “a house to be called the Macquarie Hotel”.
The hotel was destroyed by fire on 14 August 1887 so it had a relatively short life. The Daily Telegraph of 15 August reported the fire this way “The Macquarie Hotel was totally destroyed by fire at 7 o’clock this morning. The building was empty except the large room, which was used by the Evandale Brass Band to practice in, and some of their forms and seats were destroyed. Mr Webber’s water-cart came in time to save the adjoining shop, and the local fire brigade worked well under the direction of the police.” This report suggests it was not operating as a hotel at this time.
There was some surprise around town at the time that the fire was not being investigated. It had previously been deliberately set on fire but the flames had been extinguished. The newspaper, The Tasmanian, of the 20 August that year reported “The whole building except the brick walls was consumed in about two hours. The building belonged to Mr. R. W. Chugg, and was insured for its full value.”
Ann Richards is known to have operated the hotel from 1862 till 1870 but she did not own it. Solicitors were instructed by Mr. W. Atkin, Executor to the Estate of the late Wm. Richards, to sell by auction, at their Rooms, on Monday, 20th instant, at twelve o’clock, “that well-known property at Evandale, the Macquarie Hotel, with cottage at the corner of Cambock and Macquarie Streets. The Hotel which is in good repair contains 12 rooms, one of which is 41 x 16 feet, suitable for meetings or concerts, detached stable and outbuilding. The cottage contains four rooms, substantially built. The land has a frontage on White Hills Road of 250 links, and on Macquarie Street of 200 links. Title Guaranteed. Terms at sale. The above property must be sold.” (Launceston Examiner 2 Feb 1865)
There is mention of the hotel in 1867 where an event was catered for and reported in the newspaper. “The large room at the Macquarie Hotel was densely crowded, and the applause was rigorous and genuine.” (The Cornwall Chronicle 21 Sep 1867)
In December 1871, Phillip Mullane was granted a renewal of his licence for this hotel, so we know it was licensed in 1871 and 1872. The licence was also renewed in December 1873 for 1874.
In May 1874 a former policeman Peter Smith made an application to transfer the licence. This application was refused on the grounds of poor character. The licensee at this time was likely Phillip Mullane but it is not apparent if it was also owned by him. (We know from latter reporting that the land was at one time owned by Mr Barrett.) Smith had commenced the purchase of the property and now he was seeking the licence to operate the hotel.
It was a perilous situation; he had paid money for a hotel he could not legally run. Therefore a subsequent application was made to the annual licensing bench in by Smith in December 1874. “Messrs J. Whitehead and R. H. Douglas constituted the licensing bench here on Tuesday, and they renewed all the existing licenses. Mr Peter Smith applied for a new license for the Macquarie Hotel. Mr Whitehead left the bench, and declined to consider the application. Mr Douglas could not constitute himself a licensing bench, and he also retired.” (The Cornwall Chronicle 4 December 1874)
By May 1875, Peter Smith was before the Court of Bankruptcy in Launceston. “Before my bankruptcy I kept the Macquarie Hotel, Evandale. I was to pay £650 for the hotel to Mr Atkins, as agent for the owners. I paid £100 on account of the purchase. I gave up possession in January to Mr Richard Chugg on condition that he would arrange with Mr Atkins to take it on the same terms that I had bought it.” (Weekly Examiner 22 May 1875)
The two fires mentioned above where not the only fire to have occurred here. The Cornwall Chronicle 3 February 1875 reports “Fire at Evandale.— On Saturday night about 11 o’clock a stable in the rear of the Macquarie Hotel, at Evandale, caught fire and could not be extinguished until it burnt down, destroying a valuable horse and a ton and a half of hay.” The horse belonged to Mr Richard Chugg.
Chugg continued to operate the Hotel through 1876 as attested by the following from the Launceston Examiner of 1 April 1876. “PIGEON MATCH AT EVANDALE. (From our own Correspondent.) A capital day’s sport was enjoyed by lovers of the gun at Evandale on Wednesday, the centre of interest being a much talked of match between two well known cracks, Messrs W.. Russell and Jas. Rose, for £25 aside. There were a large number of visitors from both town and country present on the ground, the spot chosen being in a paddock not far from the Macquarie Hotel, Mr R. Chugg having the management of the necessary details for the shooting. Mr Chugg had a refreshment booth on the ground and provided an excellent dinner at the hotel for the visitors after the conclusion of the sport.”
In May 1877, Chugg’s licence was transferred to Alexander Wilson (The Hobart Town Gazette 22 May 1877).
The Hotel ceased to operate sometime during or after 1878. This is known because a licence was issued to Alexander Wilson for 1878 (The Hobart Town Gazette 15 January 1878), however, a local correspondent for the town reported in the Launceston Examiner of 18 Nov 1879 “I understand an attempt will be made to get a license for the old Macquarie Hotel. We, the public of this municipality, do not require any more houses of refreshment of this kind—just now, at any rate.”
The large room of the hotel was still in use for functions in 1884 because a wedding reception was known to be held in the hotel in February of that year. (The Mercury 26 Feb 1884)
The land was subsequently cleared after the fire and in 1885 Visitors to Evandale were encouraged “if they wish to note the many improvements that are being pushed forward in the building line, ought not to neglect to take a walk or drive round in the locality of the old Macquarie Hotel. They will there see the commodious premises lately erected by Mr E. Atkins. The ground on which they stand once belonged to the late Mr Barrett, and the building is a striking contrast to the former bare paddock.(Daily Telegraph 23 Jun 1885)
Summary of Licensees of the Macquarie Hotel
|1861 – 1870||Ann Richards|
|1871 – 1874||Phillip Mullane|
Pubs and Publicans – The Jolly Farmer Inn
The Hobart Town Courier of 3 October 1829 provides a list of persons to whom certificates for Public House Licenses for Cornwall were granted by the bench of Magistrates. This list included Mr J Collins for the Jolly Farmer, South Esk River. However the Colonial Times of 20 November 1829 states that a Public House Licence in the County of Cornwall was granted to George Collins, for the Jolly Farmer, South Esk River.
George Collins lived on Collin’s Hill it what is now Briar Lane Cottage.
This makes the Jolly Farmer the first licensed premises in the town. It was not to last however. The Hobart Town Courier of 9 January 1830 tells a story of “a regular pitched battle” that was fought on 30 December 1829, “near the public house kept by Mr. Collins between James Glew, a man well known by the lovers of pugilism in New South Wales and John Williams, the champion of this place”. By this report, “upwards of 700 persons, a greater concourse of people perhaps than was ever assembled before on such an occasion in this island”, witnessed the event. Even the constables from Launceston did not try to have the pugilists desist, the prisoners to return to their masters’ deserted farms, and the rest of the mob to disperse” Indeed, “that guardian of the public peace, it appears, was busily employed making bets much against appearances, and it is said (that being in the secret) he made a good job of it, for it is the public opinion that it was a sold battle or what is called by the fancy a cross fight, but so artfully had the plan been laid, and so successfully executed, that not only several hundred pounds but thousands are said to have been won and lost, and that cattle and horses have also changed owners upon the occasion”.
The article goes on to state “We trust the ringleaders of this disgraceful occurrence will be punished as they deserve, and if any man clothed with authority, has forgot himself so far as the constable alluded to seems to have done, that justice will be awarded him for the sake of example to others”. Such justice may have been afforded to George Collins as the Launceston Advertiser of 20 September 1830 states “the Magistrates have granted licenses to three new applicants, and have refused only one license, viz.. Mr. George Collins, near Gibson’s ford, which license they refused to renew.”
Summary of Licensees of Jolly Farmer
|1829 – 1830||George Collins|
Pubs and Publicans – Royal Oak Hotel
The first licensee was John Morrison. Colonial Times of 9 Nov 1844 stated that Mr Morrison had applied for a licence (22 September 1844) to keep an inn at Evandale but it was refused “on account of not being wanted, in the opinion of the Justices”. That report goes on to say the case came on again on but the decision was “deferred until the 22nd, when no doubt, having heard the decision on this side in Mr. Bonney’s favour, their Worships will grant the applications.” While details of the decision on 22nd have not been found, we know that Morrison held the licence in 1845 so we can assume it was granted. He held the licence until 1852 when he died on 11 May 1852 at the age of 44. His wife, Eleanor Morrison took over the licence that same year. Mrs Morrison is known to have transferred the licence to Mr Abraham Banks in February 1853 (Launceston Examiner, February 10, 1853).
Mr Banks held this licence until 1871, at which time “Richard Hood was granted permission to sell liquors in the Royal Oak hotel under the licence held by Abraham Banks, until the next licensing meeting”.
In 1855, Mr Banks was involved in an interesting case, one considered of considerable importance to all public house licensees, had it been successful. It was “an information” laid by A. T. Collett Esq. against Mr. Banks, at the Police office in Evandale. “It involved having refused to receive the horse of a traveller, not being a guest at his inn, on Sunday last, the 7th January. The circumstances were these: Mr. Collett, who resides about two and a half miles from the township, drove to Evandale in his gig for the purpose of attending divine service, when he found Bank’s yard gate locked and secured, and was refused admission by Banks, and he was compelled to put up his horse at a friend’s place. There was a full attendance of magistrates (six), who unanimously dismissed the information, contending that Banks was perfectly justified in refusing to receive on Sunday any but travellers, and that persons coming to church could not be so designated. Another information against Banks for refusing to admit Mr. Collett into his licensed house on the Same day, in his capacity as a Justice of the Peace, arising out of the former case, was withdrawn by Mr. Collett.”
Upon obtaining the licence from Mr Banks, Mr Richard Hood soon set about leasing the business to someone else. On 9 October 1871, he advertised “To BE LET BY TENDER-That well known business public house known as the Royal Oak Inn, Evandale. Tenders to be sent in on or before November 1st , 1871. Not bound to accept the highest or any tender. Apply to Mr R. Hood, near Trafalgar, Evandale.” It is not known how successful this attempt was but we do know that Hood remained licensee until August 1874 at which time he transferred it to Elizabeth Hanney. The Hobart Town Gazette of 18 January 1876 shows that Hanney was granted a licence until 31 December of that year. The following year, the Hobart Town Gazette of 16 January 1877 states that a licence was now granted to Thomas Trant until 31 December that year. However, The Tasmanian 15 December 1877 carried an advertisement that stated “WANTED TO BE KNOWN. – THAT I, the undersigned, have taken the Royal Oak Hotel, Evandale, lately in the occupation of Thomas Trant, and I beg to solicit a fair share of patronage. Good accommodation, stabling, etc. The best wines and spirits always on hand. – HENRY VINEY, Proprietor.”
Viney held the licence until 29 May 1880 and the Hobart Town Gazette states that the licence was transferred from Viney to William Banks (1 June 1880). That licence was renewed for 1881.
Mr Hood took back the licence in 1881 and held it till 1886. In September that year he advertised to let or sell the Royal Oak and records show that George Herbert Wills successfully applied for licence and initially permission to continue selling liquor from Hood’s Royal Oak. Mr Wills continued as licensee until July 1887, at which time, Mr. Benjamin Cutler made an application to transfer the licence. Cutler was then granted permission to sell under Wills’ license until next licensing day (normally December).
It seems that Mr Cutler was very quick to get himself into the community by making his hotel available for many social events. For example he hosted a pigeon shoot in 1889 and used his licence to set up booths at various sporting events. For example, in 1887 he provided a scoring board for the pigeon shooting match at Longford and then “At the Evandale Races in May 1888, Mr. Benjamin Cutler, of the Royal Oak, Evandale, had a booth on the ground and did a brisk business, and also provided an excellent luncheon.” (Launceston Examiner 3 May 1888). In September 1889 Cutler is also reported to have provided an excellent refreshment and luncheon booth at a ploughing competition of the Evandale Ploughing Association. Something he repeated in 1889. He did not confine himself to sporting events; in 1889 he provided dinner and refreshments to the Morven St. Andrew’s Benefit Society at the Council Chambers and then in 1890 he hosted a dinner for the anniversary of the Benefit Society at his hotel.
Mr Cutler held the licence until 1892. The Launceston Examiner of 14 Oct 1892 states that a solicitor, Mr J J Rumpff of Patterson Street Launceston had “for sale the tenant rights, furniture, goodwill, and effects” for the Royal Oak.
In November 1893, Samuel Colgrave applied for a Justices’ Certificate approving of him receiving a public-house licence. This may or may not have been granted. The Mercury newspaper of Hobart on 6 December 1893 records that “Evandale Licensing Bench has decided to close Royal Oak Hotel, on the ground that it is not required for public convenience.”
Summary of Licensees of Royal Oak Hotel
|1844 – 1852||John Morrison|
|1852 – 1853||Eleanor Morrison|
|1853 – 1871||Abraham Banks|
|1871 – 1874||Richard Hood|
|1874 – 1876||Elizabeth Hanney|
|1877 – 1877||Thomas Trant|
|1877 – 1880||Henry Viney|
|1880 – 1881||William Banks|
|1881 – 1886||Richard Hood|
|1886 – 1887||George Herbert Wills|
|1887 – 1892||Benjamin Cutler|
|1892 – 1893? (possibly)||Samuel Colgrave|
Pubs and Publicans – The Imperial Inn
Karl Von Stieglitz (1946) suggests the Imperial Inn was the first “inn” in Evandale but was never licensed. This author states that it was owned and built by John Williatt (1792 – 1875) who subsequently established the second licensed establishment in the town, the Patriot King William IV in 1832.
Von Stieglitz asserts the Imperial Inn was later called Ingleside. It had been a comfortable home in its day but had fallen into disrepair and was eventually demolished and only the stables remain. Von Stieglitz reports that during demolition, “reminders of its original use, including the Imperial Inn sign, were found, and among the litter under the floor was one of the old fashioned, square, black gin bottles, still corked and full to the neck with gin. In his surprise at this discovery, the man at work on the job dropped his hammer on to the bottle, and then to his horror saw its contents slowly gurgle away in the dust, leaving behind only a tantalising aromatic smell.”
New evidence now casts doubt on the existence of the Imperial Inn. Mr Williatt did not own the land encompassing Ingleside Homestead until after the Patriot King was established and if the Imperial Inn was operated by a previous owner, then it would have been nothing more than an opportunistic sly grog shop and likely not to have been as brazen as to display an advertising sign. Licences to operate a public house were required from at least 1816 (The Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter 6 Sep 1817).
Pubs and Publicans – Prince of Wales Hotel
The Prince of Wales was said to be built by William Sidebottom in circa 1836. Karl von Steiglitz (1946) states that William Sidebottom came to Evandale in 1820 from England and “Soon after arrival he built a tannery and boot factory—which supplied Government and private contracts—with as many as 25 men working for him, on Fyfe’s Corner, as some of us still call it, opposite where Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Bean now live. This was a wooden building and later occupied by the Halls, who at one time tried to obtain a licence for it as an hotel, but failed. Later, Simon Fyfe had his stables there when he ran the coaches, but during his son’s (John) tenancy after Simon’s death, the old place was burnt down. William Sidebottom built a brewery at Evandale (William East was the last brewer), near the Clarendon Hotel. He also built the Prince of Wales Hotel and several other places from bricks made in the old brick kiln on Woodlands (now part of Andora), which were delivered on the site for 5/- a hundred.”)
At the annual licensing meeting in 1842, Miss Eleanor Perkins (who had been the licensee at the Patriot King William) and William Sutton both applied for licenses at Evandale. The Launceston Courier on 5 September 1842 reports “The sense of the meeting was taken as to whether another house was required in the district. Upon a division, there were six on each side, and the Chairman decided in favour of a second house. The respective merits of the two applications were then discussed, and a decision given in favor of Mr. Sutton by the Chairman’s casting vote.”
The Launceston Advertiser of 20 October 1842 carries the following advert from Mr Sutton: “PRINCE OF WALES, EVANDALE. – THE Undersigned, begs most respectfully to inform his friends and the public in general, that he has taken those commodious premises at Evandale, lately occupied by Mr. Sidebottom, which he has opened as an Hotel. The premises having undergone a thorough repair, will afford every accommodation to those who may favor him with a call.”
In 1843, Sutton was involved in a curious case reported in the Launceston Examiner 30 August 1843. “On Saturday week a novel kind of information was tried at the Evandale police office, before Robert Wales and James Cox, Esquires. The following is an outline of the case. A man named Peter Morgan, formerly in the employ of a settler at Norfolk Plains, went to the house of Mr. Sutton, who keeps the ” Prince of Wales” inn, at Evandale, and gave into the safe keeping of the landlady two promissory notes, one for £13 10s., the other for £51 10s. He remained at the house drinking for nearly a fortnight, representing himself (as there is reason to believe) as a man of property. As often as payment was requested he gave a cheque upon the bank, until having repeated this process three several times, Mr. Sutton thought it necessary to ascertain whether he possessed any funds at the bank upon which he so largely drew. He accordingly brought him in a gig to Mr. Henty’s, where he repeatedly said he had upwards of £300. Certainly the man must have been labouring under some hallucination of the kind, derived from the debauchery in which he had been indulging, for on arriving at the bank he walked in with all imaginable consequence, and asked for his £300! I The cashier, however, knowing nothing about him, he returned as he came, in company with Mr. Sutton to the “Prince of Wales” once more. He then gave the landlord a promissory note for £51, accepted by Mr. Mitchell, his former master. Morgan had previously taken away two colts, which, at his first coming to the house, he had left there. After giving Mr. Sutton the bill he went away, but returned soon afterwards and demanded back his two promissory notes. He was then informed that his account exceeded £110, and that both the notes would be retained as part payment, and that unless he gave up the colts summary proceedings would be adopted against him! The consequence of this threat was the present in formation against Mr. Sutton, for taking a promissory note in payment for liquor instead of the current coin of the realm, contrary to the act of council. The bench considered the case fully made out, and fined Sutton in the extreme penalty of £50, exclusive of costs. Mr. Douglass, who appeared in his behalf, gave immediate notice of appeal.”
It is quite likely that because of this case, Sutton lost his licence. We do know that Sutton owed money to Mr Sidebottom because The Cornwall Chronicle of 19 Aug 1843 advertised a sale “Sidebottom v Sutton. – BY MR. FRANCIS. – On the Premises, known as the Prince of Wales public-house, Evandale, on THURSDAY next, the 24th August, at 1 o’clock precisely, under distraint for rent, unless this execution is previously satisfied, – ONE Horse and Gig, two Colts, two Cows, and one Calf – also – The Household Furniture, consisting of horse hair bottom chain, tables, bedsteads, bed and bedding, kitchen utensils, etc. – Terms – Cash.”
In September 1843, the licence was granted to Patrick Walsh. “Some argument took place respecting the granting of this license, but it was ultimately carried, on the consideration that two licensed houses were
better than only one, to prevent monopoly” (The Cornwall Chronicle 2 September 1843). The following year, the licence to Walsh was renewed (The Cornwall Chronicle 7 September 1844). As owner of the establishment, this licence was transferred to Mr Sidebottom in May 1846 according to The Cornwall Chronicle Sat 9 May 1846 and Launceston Advertiser 7 May 1846. However, the Cornwall Chronicle of 1 August 1846 then states that an application was made to transfer the licence from Sidebottom to William Peck. The transfer was reported as allowed in The Britannia and Trades’ Advocate on 13 August 1846 on 3 August.
However, the Cornwall Chronicle of 2 September 1846 states that at a hearing before Justices, a certificate to apply for renewal of a licence as refused because “William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale.—Badly conducted house and a dealer in licenses.” (Peck had only one month earlier transferred his licence for the Plough Inn in Evandale to take up the Prince of Wales.)
Peck must have been able to overcome this set back because he did hold the licence for the Prince of Wales from 1846 to 1848.
John King was the next licensee, holding the licence until 1852. It is known that consideration of an application from Mr George Smith, for the Prince of Wales Inn, Evandale, formerly kept by Mr. King, was postponed until the 16th September 1852 but only after the clerk of the peace read a letter from the police magistrate of Morven, recommending the rejection of the applicant on the grounds that “had he been a man of respectable character, he might have obtained certificates of character from several gentlemen, residents on the Nile.”
“Mr. Douglas, solicitor, stated that the applicant had resided some years on the Nile, and by a course of frugality, and honest industry, had collected a sum of money sufficient to embark in the business of a publican; he was considered, however, on hearsay evidence and idle rumours, as unfit for that business; although there was nothing tangible against him. He (Mr. Douglas) begged an adjournment, in order that be might produce satisfactory certificates of Mr. Smith’s character.”
The Cornwall Chronicle of 18 September 1852, reports that at the re-scheduled hearing Robert Wales, the Assistant Police Magistrate for Morven was reported to have said — “My principal reason for opposing the license is because I consider the applicant incapable of keeping an orderly house; I have known Smith thirteen years, and in my opinion he is unqualified for the business of a licensed victualler; I have no documentary evidence against him, but could, if I were disposed, call up reminiscences anything but creditable to him. Besides, public opinion is against him, and the Magistrates of Morven have protested against his holding a license; applicant had recently conducted a tap nominally for Mr. King — but in his (Mr. Wales’) opinion, virtually for himself; the house since then had been badly conducted.”
But Mr Douglas, acting on behalf of Smith discharged his duty fearlessly; “even though Magistrates spoke under excited feelings, were he right he would not submit. Mr. Wales knew his client was being deprived of a license on idle rumour; it was usual for the police to bring forward data on which to condemn a man, not mere hearsay evidence; the fact of his client having resided fifteen years in one district, without having incurred the displeasure of any one — without even being known to any one — was prima facie proof of the unimpeachableness of his character. Mr. Smith had not been fairly dealt with, inasmuch as the sins of Mr. King had been visited on his devoted head. How, he would ask, was Mr. Smith accountable for Mr. King’ s neglect? If Mr. King had done wrong, why was he not punished? Surely they would not saddle his client with Mr. King’s imperfections.”
Mr. Douglas was “in possession of a number of certificates which he felt convinced would prove his client worthy of holding a license; they were from persons, who knew Smith personally, and must have more weight than an ipse dixet (an assertion without proof) of individuals entirely unacquainted with him; he would lay the documents before the bench, leaving them to make their own impression. Mr. Douglas contended that the bench should adduce tangible proof before they refused his client’s application.”
The newspaper then reports that Mr. Douglas then read favourable certificates from several people including George Collins, Jnr., Mr H Glover and John R Glover. The report continues “Mr Wales said, with regard to the respectability of the certificates, he only knew of two in which he could place reliance, Mr. H. Glover’s, and Mr. Collin’s; although he did not wish to reflect on the private character of individuals, in the discharge of his magisterial duty he felt it incumbent on him to state that Mr. John R Glover was too dissipated in his habits to render his testimony worthy of belief; and he would simply enquire, why did not Smith procure recommendations from the Magistrate of the district? The fact of there being no magisterial recommendations proved him unworthy to be entrusted with, a licensed house.
Mr. Douglas — The magistrates of the district were unacquainted with the man, and consequently could not recommend him.”
Despite Mr Douglas’ efforts, the panel was guided by Mr. Wales, and the vote was against Smith by a show of five to one – the application was refused.
In 1852, Mr Edward Davis advertises “Prince of Wales, EVANDALE. E DAVIS, late of Perth, begs to inform his friends and the public in general, that having taken the above spacious premises, and been to great expense to put them in complete repair, trusts by civility, attention and moderate charges, to merit a portion of their patronage. The beat of Wines, Spirits, and Malt Liquors, always on band, well aired beds, superior stable and an attentive ostler. Dinners provided for large or small parties on the shortest notice.” (The Cornwall Chronicle 18 September 1852)
In February 1855, Davis once again takes to the adverts to say that having been late of the Prince of Wales in Evandale, he has moved to the Australian Wine Vaults in Launceston, (The Cornwall Chronicle 17 February 1855). It is suggested that Davis transferred the licence to Mr Hall in 1854 because in December of that year, Hall had his licence “renewed” for 1855.
Mr Hall has been recorded in the press of the time as Arthur Samuel Hall and Samuel Arthur Hall. The family notice announcing the birth of a son in The Cornwall Chronicle on 31 January 1855 states that it was S A Hall. It is known that Samuel Hall held the licence until at least 1858.
It is not known by the compiler who had the licence from 1858 to 1862 but it is likely to have been Samuel Hall and William Sidebottom, Jnr. It is known that William Sidebottom Jnr held the licence in 1862 until August 1870, at which time, it was transferred to Robert Saunders (Launceston Examiner 18 Aug 1870). Saunders then held the licence through to at least 1874.
Edward Hardman held the licence from at least 1883 until 1891. On 28 June 1891, Edward’s wife, Jane Harriett, had a son. Just 16 days later on 14 July she died at the age of 31. This event must have had some impact of the decision to get out of the hotel, because in November of that year Michael Markey submitted an application for the licence. On 9 November 1891, a correspondent of the Launceston Examiner (12 November 1891) reports that “Mr Michael Markey, of the Prince of Wales Hotel, is suffering from severe concussion of the brain, the result of a fall from a restive horse, and is in a critical state. He died on 14 November at age 44. His widow, Elsie Markey took over the hotel and ran it until 1903.
Summary of Licensees of Prince of Wales
|1842 – 1843||William Sutton|
|1843 – 1846||Patrick Walsh|
|1846 – 1846||William Sidebottom Snr|
|1846 – 1848||William Peck|
|1848 – 1852||John King|
|1852 – 1854||Edward Davis|
|1854 – 1862||Samuel Arthur Hall|
|1862 – 1870||William Sidebottom Jnr|
|1870 – 1875||Robert Saunders|
|1876 – 1880?||Abraham Banks|
|1880 – 1881||John Waldron|
|At least 1883 – 1891||Edward Hardman|
|1891 – 1891||Michael Markey|
|1891 – 1903||Elsie Markey|
Pubs and Publicans – Clarendon (Arms)
Thomas Fall built the Clarendon Hotel, starting in 1847, while he held the licence for the Patriot King. In September 1849, Mr Fall attempted to transfer the licence he held for the Patriot King over to “premises lately erected by him”. This application was refused on the ground that the transfer would be injurious to the proprietor of the Patriot King, Mr. Williatt. The impasse was solved by considering Mr Fall as a new applicant and allowing Williatt to apply for transfer of Fall’s licence for the Patriot King back to himself.
Thomas Fall held the licence until his death on 4 September 1888. The Colonist of 15 September 1888 reported the following: “The remains of the late Mr Thomas Fall were interred in the Church of England cemetery, the service being conducted by the Rev. J. Chambers. The funeral was well attended, notwithstanding that the day was cold and wet. The Rev. Archdeacon Mason, the Hon. W. Dodery, Messrs. W. Atkins and Maurice Nathan acting as pall-bearers. The deceased gentleman will be greatly missed on the township, as he was a resident of 50 years. There were very few houses here when he came to make Evandale his home, he was a large property holder here and in Launceston, and having only had two in family, they are left well provided for. He arrived in the colony in the barque Portland in 1832, the late Mr and Mrs J. Cox, of Clarendon, being also amongst the passengers. The vessel, it will be remembered, was wrecked at the Fourteen Mile Bluff. The deceased succeeding in saving Mrs Cox from a water’ grave, but her son was lost, the remains afterwards being interred at George Town. Mr Fall lost all he possessed by the wreck, but he commenced business in Launceston, and removed to Franklin Village, and finally settled at Evandale. After being in the colony a few years, he married a Miss Russell, cousin of Henry Russell, the celebrated composer and song writer. Although deceased had reached the age of 89 years, he could read without spectacles and write freely within a few days of his death. He never took an active part in politics, but was a shrewd observer and criticiser of passing events, and was charitable in his disposition.”
After Fall’s death, and the rather long occupation of a single licensee, there was a succession of short tenure publicans.
Oscar Bottcher became the next licensee. However, his tenure at the hotel ended abruptly when he died in 1889. William Atkins, acting executor to Mr Bottcher, applied for renewal of the licence on 24 October 1889.
Walter Smith followed and he lasted only to 1892 when, in November 1892, Kate Nichols applied for a Justices’ certificate to allow her to apply for the licence to run the Clarendon. However, the Launceston Examiner of 30 March 1893 carried the advert “TO LET-The Clarendon Hotel, Evandale, lately occupied by Mrs Nichols. This well known hostelry, partly furnished, is now being thoroughly renovated, and will be let to a suitable tenant on liberal terms. Apply W. ATKINs, River View, Evandale.”
Launceston Examiner 6 April 1893 reported that an application to transfer the licence was made by William Atkins to Michael John Ryan and this was later granted in May 1893. Michael Ryan held the licence through to the turn of the century.
The first recorded use of the current name “Clarendon Arms” located is in The Cornwall Chronicle of 26 July 1854. However, there are many later recorded occurrences where the term “Arms” was not used.
Summary of Licensees of Clarendon Hotel
|1849 – 1888||Thomas Fall|
|1888 – 1889||Oscar Bottcher|
|1889 – ?||William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher|
|? – 1892||Walter Smith|
|1892? – 1893||Kate Nichols|
|1893 – 1893||William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher|
|1893 – 1900+||Michael Ryan|