Reverend Robert Russell was a young Scot when he arrived in Evandale to
commence his parish duties on the 9th April 1838.
At that time there was no church building and services were then held in
The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of
a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the
laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and
from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews
on 5th September 1840.
A much admired example of Greek Revival Architecture, St. Andrews is
known as the “best preserved or restored” place of worship in
Since its door opened, St Andrew’s has served the Presbyterian Congregation of Evandale and its surrounding environs and lately as the Uniting Church of Australia.
In 1834, plans were finalised and St. Andrew’s Church of England was
officially opened in 1837 by the Governor of Van Diemen’s Land, Sir John
Franklin. The building was used as a place of worship on Sundays and a
school room during the week days. The new building was constructed with bricks
which were obtained from the abandoned works of the Evandale-Launceston Water
Tunnel. In addition the roof was covered in shingle.
There were two rooms, the chapel/school room and the master’s room. The
building was situated at the end of Church Lane in what is now the back of the
Rectory. The initial building was later used as a Sunday School before being
demolished around 1910.
In October 1838, a larger Church of England was required with a petition
requesting the Government assist in the erection of a more suitable building.
Consequently work began on a new church in 1841. It was a red brick building
with a square tower and the building was completed about 1844.
In 1869, discovery of large cracks were discovered which was caused by faulty foundations, and the church was finally demolished in 1871. The foundation stone for the present church was laid down on 30 November 1871 and building commenced using many of the original bricks. In May 17, 1872 the new church was consecrated and dedicated to St. Andrew.