Thomas Fall built the Clarendon Hotel, starting in 1847, while he held the licence for the Patriot King. In September 1849, Mr Fall attempted to transfer the licence he held for the Patriot King over to “premises lately erected by him”. This application was refused on the ground that the transfer would be injurious to the proprietor of the Patriot King, Mr. Williatt. The impasse was solved by considering Mr Fall as a new applicant and allowing Williatt to apply for transfer of Fall’s licence for the Patriot King back to himself.
Thomas Fall held the licence until his death on 4 September 1888. The Colonist of 15 September 1888 reported the following: “The remains of the late Mr Thomas Fall were interred in the Church of England cemetery, the service being conducted by the Rev. J. Chambers. The funeral was well attended, notwithstanding that the day was cold and wet. The Rev. Archdeacon Mason, the Hon. W. Dodery, Messrs. W. Atkins and Maurice Nathan acting as pall-bearers. The deceased gentleman will be greatly missed on the township, as he was a resident of 50 years. There were very few houses here when he came to make Evandale his home, he was a large property holder here and in Launceston, and having only had two in family, they are left well provided for. He arrived in the colony in the barque Portland in 1832, the late Mr and Mrs J. Cox, of Clarendon, being also amongst the passengers. The vessel, it will be remembered, was wrecked at the Fourteen Mile Bluff. The deceased succeeding in saving Mrs Cox from a water’ grave, but her son was lost, the remains afterwards being interred at George Town. Mr Fall lost all he possessed by the wreck, but he commenced business in Launceston, and removed to Franklin Village, and finally settled at Evandale. After being in the colony a few years, he married a Miss Russell, cousin of Henry Russell, the celebrated composer and song writer. Although deceased had reached the age of 89 years, he could read without spectacles and write freely within a few days of his death. He never took an active part in politics, but was a shrewd observer and criticiser of passing events, and was charitable in his disposition.”
After Fall’s death, and the rather long occupation of a single licensee, there was a succession of short tenure publicans.
Oscar Bottcher became the next licensee. However, his tenure at the hotel ended abruptly when he died in 1889. William Atkins, acting executor to Mr Bottcher, applied for renewal of the licence on 24 October 1889.
Walter Smith followed and he lasted only to 1892 when, in November 1892, Kate Nichols applied for a Justices’ certificate to allow her to apply for the licence to run the Clarendon. However, the Launceston Examiner of 30 March 1893 carried the advert “TO LET-The Clarendon Hotel, Evandale, lately occupied by Mrs Nichols. This well known hostelry, partly furnished, is now being thoroughly renovated, and will be let to a suitable tenant on liberal terms. Apply W. ATKINs, River View, Evandale.”
Launceston Examiner 6 April 1893 reported that an application to transfer the licence was made by William Atkins to Michael John Ryan and this was later granted in May 1893. Michael Ryan held the licence through to the turn of the century.
The first recorded use of the current name “Clarendon Arms” located is in The Cornwall Chronicle of 26 July 1854. However, there are many later recorded occurrences where the term “Arms” was not used.
Summary of Licensees of Clarendon Hotel
|1849 – 1888||Thomas Fall|
|1888 – 1889||Oscar Bottcher|
|1889 – ?||William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher|
|? – 1892||Walter Smith|
|1892? – 1893||Kate Nichols|
|1893 – 1893||William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher|
|1893 – 1900+||Michael Ryan|