Mr William Sidebottom (died 1849) applied for a licence for the Plough Inn in 1840, but this was refused on the ground of the situation being “very objectionable”. Another application in 1841 was refused.
The Cornwall Chronicle of 2 September 1843 states that a licence application was made by “William Peck, for premises at Evandale. Objected to by Messrs. Wales, Cox and Hartley, as unnecessary.” The application was refused.
The Cornwall Chronicle of 1 August 1846 states that an application was made to transfer a licence held by William Peck for the Plough Inn to Steven Murphy. The transfer was reported in The Britannia and Trades’ Advocate on 13 August 1846 as allowed on 3 August. This suggests that the Plough Inn was licensed to William Peck somewhere between 1843 and 1846.
The Launceston Advertiser of 3 September 1846 reported on the application for renewal of a licence held by “John” (probably Steven) Murphy, for the Plough Inn at Evandale. The hearing was told that Murphy was suspected of Sunday trading. Mr. Breton and Major Wellman spoke to the character of Murphy but Mr Wales said two houses were sufficient for the necessities of Evandale; at the present time there were four. The licence for the coming year was refused.
However, the Launceston Examiner Sat 5 September 1846 reports the hearing slightly differently stating “Mr. Bartley objected to the applicant. He held the license by transfer from Launceston, but the license he originally held had been cancelled by two magistrates for a breach of his recognisance; therefore he transferred a nullity, and was selling illegally.”
This report stated that a Mr. Dry and a Major Wellman spoke well of the applicant’s character but added that a Mr. Collett strongly objected stating the house “had been most disorderly and very improperly conducted.”
Steven Murphy is known to have been granted a licence for a year in October 1845 for the Young Queen Hotel in Launceston but this licence was transferred to a Mr Wicks in 1846 and Mr Wick’s application at the annual renewal hearing of that year was refused on the grounds that the house was ill-furnished and dirty, and strongly suspected of dishonest practices. So it is likely that no licence had been transferred from Launceston as claimed by Mr Bartley and that Murphy was operating on the licence transferred by William Peck.
The Launceston Advertiser of 24 September 1846 reports that Stephen Murphy, of Evandale, put in an appeal about a licensing decision, but did not appear when the matter was called and the matter was therefore not entertained.
Subsequently, the Cornwall Chronicle of 16 December 1846 advertised the following:
“TO BE LET, with immediate possession, together with sixteen acres of land, the dwelling house lately in the occupation of Mr. S. Murphy situate in the improving township of Evandale. The house contains ten sitting and bed rooms, convenient kitchens, stables, sheds, and other outhouses, and an extensive garden attached, is in a good state of cultivation, and the whole would form a desirable situation for a boarding and day school, the neighbourhood being populous and increasing. To a respectable tenant the rent will be very moderate, and the proprietor would be happy if any one required it, to let the house and appurtenances without the land which is bounded by the South Esk River, and is considered one of the best pieces for cultivation in the district. For further particulars, apply to Wm. Sidebottom on the premises, Evandale.”
It seems that with no licence, Murphy departed the scene and the owner of the place, Mr Sidebottom was now endeavouring to set up a different use for the Plough Inn.
The location of the Plough Inn is not known. An advertisement placed in The Cornwall Chronicle on 25 August 1858 stated that Bell and Westbrook had been engaged to sell the Evandale Coaching Establishment belonging to Mr John Hanney who was “proceeding shortly to England” and that this sale was to occur at the “Plough Inn Yards” on 1 September. While this was an Evandale business, it is quite probable that the “yards” referred to were at the Plough Inn in Launceston.
It is noted that The Cornwall Chronicle of 6 October 1849 states that a William Murphy was granted a licence for the Plough Inn in Longford. It is not known if the two Murphys are related.
Licensees of Plough Inn
|1843? – 1846||William Peck|
|1846? – 1846?||Steven Murphy|