RAAF 7 Elementary Flying School

Tasmania’s only RAAF Flying Base during World War 2 was established at the site of the current Launceston Airport on 29th August 1940, and No 7 Elementary Flying Training School commenced training in September of that year. By the time training ended in late 1944, over 1800 pilot trainees had passed through the base as part of the Empire Air Training Scheme before the base was disbanded on 31st August 1945.

Consequently the Evandale History Society, in conjunction with the R.A.A.F. Association, Launceston Branch, decided to build a memorial dedicated to all those who trained and served at Western Junction. This also commemorates the ten servicemen who died while based there and also honours the approximately one third of the 1801pilots trained there who died whilst in training at other bases or on active service in all theatres of war.

The memorial has been built in the historic village of Evandale which is close to Western Junction and where many R.A.A.F. personnel were billeted during the war. This also allows the 7 EFTS Monument to be honoured on ANZAC Day each year along with the other war monuments located there.

On Saturday 21st August 2010 over 170 formal guests were invited to a formal unveiling of the memorial by Group Captain Glen Coy CSC, Officer Commanding, Air Training Wing, East Sale. This was followed by a dedication service by Chaplain Wing Commander Ken Box and the laying of wreaths.

Among the guests were 20 original veterans from 7 EFTS who had come from Tasmania, Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales to attend and over 60 families of those veterans, servicemen died during the war and veterans who have consequently passed on. This was followed by a luncheon for veterans and guests and a visit to the Tasmanian Aero Club at Launceston Airport to view old 7 EFTS buildings.

This dedication service also honoured the 70th Anniversary of the base foundation and 65th Anniversary of the base closure.

The dedication was supported by other R.A.A.F. units such as fly past from the Roulettes, the Air Force Band and Catafalque party and Australian Air Force Cadets from Launceston. In addition staff under the command of Wing Commander Charles Hill, Commanding Officer 29SQD/SAFOT gave invaluable support to the success of the dedication service.

The Evandale History Society has established a photographic and historical collection on 7 EFTS and seeks any additional photos or historic information.

This will support the Photo Mural and Propeller Memorial on display at Launceston Airport (Western Junction)

The Evandale History Society welcomes any information or photos relating to 7 EFTS and can be contacted at 18 High Street, Evandale, Tasmania or by email. 

Western Junction WW2 – 7EFTS Base and airfield
7EFTS student in Trainer aircraft WW2
7 FTS Memorial Evandale Community Hall

Churches – The Weslyan (Methodist) Chapel Evandale

Local identities Henry Reed and John Ward Gleadow helped build the Wesleyan Church although little information is available on its history and as such it was later used as a Druid Hall, Scouts Hall and then by the Returned Services League of Australia (R.S.L.A.) as their Evandale Club Room.

The chapel which is located in Russell Street Evandale was offered for sale in 1975 and was later converted in 2000 into Heritage Accommodation of which it still remains.

Churches – St Marys (Catholic Church) Evandale

St. Mary’s Catholic Church was built around 1863 reportedly by Mr. J. Calvin although accurate details are unknown due to lack of existing church records.

The church came under the parish authority of the Catholic Church at Longford.

The wooden church originally was built with a bell tower, which consequently collapsed due to rotten wood and was not replaced. St. Mary’s at Evandale was the oldest wooden Catholic Church in the South Pacific to conducted regular masses.

The church was originally built with the doorway into the porch facing the side. This meant that coffins could not be carried into and out of the church. During 1976 when renovations took place, the original doorway was positioned to the front enabling funerals to be held.  In addition the foundations were strengthened.

On a Sunday in February 2001, saw the last regular Sunday Mass with the final Mass of Thanksgiving being held 10th November 2002.

In June 2003 the now de-consecrated St. Mary’s Church was offered for sale and was eventually brought on the 20th July 2003 by Mr. Ian Hodgkinson for renovation to a family home.

Churches – St Andrews (Uniting) Church Evandale

Reverend Robert Russell was a young Scot when he arrived in Evandale to commence his parish duties on the 9th April 1838. At that time there was no church building and services were then held in private residences.

The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840.

A much admired example of Greek Revival Architecture, St. Andrews is known as the “best preserved or restored” place of worship in Tasmania.

Since its door opened, St Andrew’s has served the Presbyterian Congregation of Evandale and its surrounding environs and lately as the Uniting Church of Australia.

Pubs and Publicans – The Trafalgar Inn

The Cornwall Chronicle 6 September 1851 states a licence application from Francis Ansell for Trafalgar Inn in Evandale was refused.  Another application by Mr Ansell, for another public house at Evandale was withdrawn in 1852.  It appears that such a licensed premises never came into being.

Pubs and Publicans – The Railway Hotel

Karl von Stieglitz (1946) states that William Sidebottom “built a tannery and boot factory—which supplied Government and private contracts—with as many as 25 men working for him, on Fyfe’s Corner, as some of us still call it, opposite where Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Bean now live. This was a wooden building and later occupied by the Halls, who at one time tried to obtain a licence for it as an hotel, but failed.” “Later, Simon Fyfe had his stables there when he ran the coaches, but during his son’s (John) tenancy after Simon’s death, the old place was burnt down.”

The compiler cannot find (at this time) any record of licences having been granted for a Railway Hotel in Evandale nor any such approval to run railway refreshment rooms at the railway station. Certainly, there has been no licence issued from 1892 to the present.

Pubs and Publicans – The Plough Inn

Mr William Sidebottom (died 1849) applied for a licence for the Plough Inn in 1840, but this was refused on the ground of the situation being “very objectionable”.  Another application in 1841 was refused.

The Cornwall Chronicle of 2 September 1843 states that a licence application was made by “William Peck, for premises at Evandale. Objected to by Messrs. Wales, Cox and Hartley, as unnecessary.”  The application was refused.

The Cornwall Chronicle of 1 August 1846 states that an application was made to transfer a licence held by William Peck for the Plough Inn to Steven Murphy.  The transfer was reported in The Britannia and Trades’ Advocate on 13 August 1846 as allowed on 3 August. This suggests that the Plough Inn was licensed to William Peck somewhere between 1843 and 1846.

The Launceston Advertiser of 3 September 1846 reported on the application for renewal of a licence held by “John” (probably Steven) Murphy, for the Plough Inn at Evandale.  The hearing was told that Murphy was suspected of Sunday trading. Mr. Breton and Major Wellman spoke to the character of Murphy but Mr Wales said two houses were sufficient for the necessities of Evandale; at the present time there were four. The licence for the coming year was refused.

However, the Launceston Examiner Sat 5 September 1846 reports the hearing slightly differently stating “Mr. Bartley objected to the applicant.  He held the license by transfer from Launceston, but the license he originally held had been cancelled by two magistrates for a breach of his recognisance; therefore he transferred a nullity, and was selling illegally.” 

This report stated that a Mr. Dry and a Major Wellman spoke well of the applicant’s character but added that a Mr. Collett strongly objected stating the house “had been most disorderly and very improperly conducted.

Steven Murphy is known to have been granted a licence for a year in October 1845 for the Young Queen Hotel in Launceston but this licence was transferred to a Mr Wicks in 1846 and Mr Wick’s application at the annual renewal hearing of that year was refused on the grounds that the house was ill-furnished and dirty, and strongly suspected of dishonest practices. So it is likely that no licence had been transferred from Launceston as claimed by Mr Bartley and that Murphy was operating on the licence transferred by William Peck.

The Launceston Advertiser of 24 September 1846 reports that Stephen Murphy, of Evandale, put in an appeal about a licensing decision, but did not appear when the matter was called and the matter was therefore not entertained.

Subsequently, the Cornwall Chronicle of 16 December 1846 advertised the following:

TO BE LET, with immediate possession, together with sixteen acres of land, the dwelling house lately in the occupation of Mr. S. Murphy situate in the improving township of Evandale. The house contains ten sitting and bed rooms, convenient kitchens, stables, sheds, and other outhouses, and an extensive garden attached, is in a good state of cultivation, and the whole would form a desirable situation for a boarding and day school, the neighbourhood being populous and increasing. To a respectable tenant the rent will be very moderate, and the proprietor would be happy if any one required it, to let the house and appurtenances without the land which is bounded by the South Esk River, and is considered one of the best pieces for cultivation in the district. For further particulars, apply to Wm. Sidebottom on the premises, Evandale.

It seems that with no licence, Murphy departed the scene and the owner of the place, Mr Sidebottom was now endeavouring to set up a different use for the Plough Inn.

The location of the Plough Inn is not known.  An advertisement placed in The Cornwall Chronicle on 25 August 1858 stated that Bell and Westbrook had been engaged to sell the Evandale Coaching Establishment belonging to Mr John Hanney who was “proceeding shortly to England” and that this sale was to occur at the “Plough Inn Yards” on 1 September.  While this was an Evandale business, it is quite probable that the “yards” referred to were at the Plough Inn in Launceston.

It is noted that The Cornwall Chronicle of 6 October 1849 states that a William Murphy was granted a licence for the Plough Inn in Longford.  It is not known if the two Murphys are related.

                                Licensees of Plough Inn

1843? – 1846 William Peck
1846? – 1846? Steven Murphy

Pubs and Publicans – Patriot King William IV (Blenheim Inn)

Blenheim, the imposing building at 16 High Street was by one account (On the Convict Road), commenced in 1826 and another as circa 1832 as a hotel by John Williatt on part of a grant of 36.5 acres of land (or 372 acres according to K Von Stieglitz) on which he also built “The Laurels”.  The hotel was first licensed on 29 September 1832 and was called the “Patriot King William IV” after the then reigning sovereign.

The hotel was a rather grand establishment which included an assembly room upstairs that was used for concerts, dancing and a meeting room for the Masonic Lodge and other groups.  It was said to also have a skittles alley.

Outbuildings included a brew house, stables and loose boxes, hay loft, blacksmiths, a cottage and accommodation for grooms.  Some of these buildings were destroyed by fire; the blacksmith shop and cottage were latter demolished.

Mr Williatt was generally well regarded as a person of good character, however in 1838, he was convicted by the magistrate at Morven, for a breach of the licensing act, in that he kept “open the outer door of his house at improper hours”.  Despite an appeal of the conviction, “a patient investigation, confirmed the decision of the magistrates”. One wonders now whether this conviction was just the start of an ongoing stoush between Mr Williatt and the Assistant Magistrate for Morven, Mr Robert Wales because in September 1840, he and Mr Wales had another battle.

In September 1840, Mr Williatt applied for renewal of his publican’s.  Mr. Wales objected strongly to a license being granted and in a lengthy speech related in what manner he had been insulted by Mr. Williatt.  The Launceston Advertiser of 3 September 1840 reported that Wales said the Williatt was “in the habit of tampering with the constabulary, and by this means raising an opposition against him in his magisterial office, and thereby enabled to violate the laws with impunity”.  The report goes on to say “It was impossible, he said, to obtain a conviction against Mr. Williatt on account of the intimacy which existed between him and the constabulary of the district. He also objected to the situation of the house— being so placed that no one could approach it without being observed, by which an opportunity was afforded for allowing the escape of any person improperly tippling upon the premises, he called upon his brother magistrates to support him in his office.

A long discussion here ensued; most of the stipendiary magistrates supported Mr. Wales, and on the other hand Mr. Williatt was strongly supported by Mr. Sinclair, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Stewart, Mr. Bryant, Mr. Sams; all of whom spoke in the highest terms of Mr. Williatt, and, from their own personal experience, bore testimony to the good management, respectability, and accommodation of his licensed house. A document to this effect was also handed in, and read, signed by most of the magistrates in the neighbourhood. The supporters of Mr Williatt did not forget to point out the honourable testimony borne by Mr. Wales as to the efficiency and integrity of the police under his jurisdiction, when he asserted that they were guided more by the frown or the smile of Mr. Williatt, than by the fear of magisterial displeasure, or the hope of magisterial commendation.

After a prolonged discussion, interspersed with loud cries of order and chair, during which time a great deal of confusion took place, inasmuch as, by way (we presume) of getting through the business with greater celerity, every one spoke at once, the question was put to the vote, and Mr. Williatt lost his license by a majority of 12 to 8”.

The Cornwall Chronicle of the 12 September drew the following response by a contributor.

“The conduct of the Magistrate upon the occasion forming a Bench for the granting of Licences to publicans, has been, for the past two or three years, for the most part, unexceptionable; the public is, therefore, the more astonished at the treatment received by Mr. Williatt at the annual licensing day on the 1st of the present month; and, we are quite sure, that every gentleman who sat on that occasion in his official capacity, must sincerely regret having been misled with regard to Mr. Williatt, now the facts of the case have become public.

Mr. Williatt has, for many years, kept the only public-house at Evandale.  He is a respectable man, and his house has been remarked as one of the best, if not the best, conducted licensed houses on this side of the Colony.  Gentlemen, when travelling have called, have been accustomed to receive to good accommodation at the “Patriot King”, — the house too, being so quiet and “unlike a public-house” that no person hesitates to make it his quarters. It has been quite usual with gentlemen, disposed for recreation for a day or two, to go out to Williatt’s, where they were sure to find the best attention, -the best accommodation-, and actual retirement.

The house is in every way suitable for affording accommodation to travellers and visitors except, perhaps, to those of that class who would consider that house to be the best fitted for public accommodation that afforded the largest tap-room, and in which rioting and debauchery were permitted. Such folk Mr. Williatt had not accommodation for, and, as a matter of course, his house was not patronised by them. Respectable people had nothing to complain of, — but everything to be satisfied with.

Of Mr. Williatt we are borne out in saying, that he has always maintained an independent character — his conduct has been unassuming and just; he lives within his income,— pays his debts— and has an unencumbered estate.

On the Licensing day— when Mr. Williatt’s name was read, as a matter of course, for the renewal of his License—Mr. Robert Wales, the Police Magistrate of Evandale, addressing the Bench, objected to it for stated reasons, which the Magistrates took for granted were correct.

The Bench was bound to credit the assertions made publicly by Mr. Wales, in his capacity of Police Magistrate, and without calling in Mr. Williatt to hear the charges made against him, refused his licence.

Mr. Williatt denies the truth of many of the assertions made by Mr. Wales to the Bench, and attributes his opposition to an ill feeling towards him, Mr. Williatt. Mr. Wales gave as one reason for refusing the License, that he had often summoned Mr. Williatt as a juror on Coroner’s Inquests— that he had never attended and had advised other persons not to attend when summoned. Now, Mr. Williatt states, that he was summoned on three occasions, — the first he attended, and sat as foreman, — on the second he attended, and sat at a juror, — and the third time he arrived at the Inquest too late, for which he made an apology to the Coroner, who laid that his absence was of no consequence, as the jury had easily been made up.

Mr. Williatt moreover asserts, that he had expressed his willingness at any lime to attend on Inquests, and requested he might be called upon at any time when a difficulty existed in composing a jury.

But presuming it to be the fact that Mr. Williatt did refute to attend on inquests, was that a sufficient reason why the public should be denied the accommodation of a respectable and orderly conducted public house at Evandale?

Again. Mr. Wales complained that Mr. Williatt had more authority over the constabulary than he had. — A strange confession for Mr. Wales to make.  He also complained of the situation of Mr. Williatt’s house, he said that no one could approach it without being observed, by which an opportunity was afforded for the escape from it of persons improperly tippling. Logical objection that, of the Police Magistrate, and singular too, that the house he proposed to license, (which, by the bye, belongs to the owner of the house Mr. Wales lives in,) should be objected to by another magistrate, because the floor of it was level with the street.

The objections made by Mr. Wales to Mr. Williatt license would have come better from him had he not taken much pains on many occasions to show an unfriendly feeling towards him. We learn from Mr. Williatt, that on one occasion, about 9 o’clock on a, Saturday morning, Mr. Wales went into his tap-room, where he saw a man lying on a bench. Without speaking to any one he went to the Police Office, and shortly returned with a constable, whom he directed to take the man to the watch-house for being drunk. The man, who happened to be sober, refused to be taken into custody, alleging that he was a free man and was sober.  Mr. Wales then called for Mr. Williatt and charged him in the Queen’s name to aid and assist to take the man into custody for being drunk, Mr. Williatt refused, as the man was sober and free, unless a warrant or some legal authority was produced for his apprehension.

For this refusal Mr. Wales threatened to take away Mr. Williatt’s license and his assigned servant.

We refrain from commenting on the conduct of Mr. Wales in this affair, understanding that Mr. Williatt has commenced legal proceedings against him for damages.”

As a result of losing his licence, the hotel was operated by Mrs Eleanor Perkins.  Her licence was granted by the Court of Quarter Sessions on 2 November 1840 (Cornwall Chronicle 4 November 1840).  She attempted to get a licence in Evandale for another hotel when Williatt’s licence was renewed but her bid was unsuccessful.

The person referred to above as the owner of the house where Assistant Police Magistrate Wales lived is Mr Thomas Fall.  In 1843, Mr Fall took over the licence for the Patriot King Hotel although the ownership of the building was maintained by Mr Williatt.  During his time as licensee, Mr Fall set about constructing his own hotel in Russell Street.  The Clarendon Arms, as it is currently known, was completed in 1847 on the site of the old watch house and convict cells.  It was first licensed on 2 September 1849, but not until after another legal battle with Mr Williatt had ensued.

The Cornwall Chronicle of 5 September 1849 reported that Mr. Thomas Fall’s application to transfer the “original license” for the Patriot King William IV “to the premises lately erected by him at Evandale” was refused on the ground that the transfer would be injurious to the proprietor of the Patriot King, Mr. Williatt.  The lawyer for Mr Fall, Mr. Tarleton argued that “If you reject Fall as an original holder, you must consider him as a new applicant.”  This argument was persuasive, so ultimately a new license was granted to Mr. Fall for the Clarendon, and Mr. Williatt’s put in a successful application for the transfer of the original license for the Patriot King back to him.

The Courier of 16 June 1849 carries the following advert –

To let or lease from 1st September next, 1849  THOSE SUBSTANTIALLY-BUILT , and EXTENSIVE PREMISES situate at Evandale, within 12 miles of Launceston, known as the “PATRIOT KING WILLIAM the FOURTH” Inn; now in full trade. Established in 1832. The house is large and replete with every convenience, and requisite accommodation for a first-rate hotel. Brewhouse, cellar, commodious stabling, loose boxes, coach and harness house, with lofts over the whole. Sheep and cattle yards, and a well of excellent water on the premises. For particulars, and to treat for the same, apply personally, or by letter post-paid, to the undersigned. – JOHN WILLIATT.  – Elkington, near Evandale, June 11.”

In May 1853, Mr Williatt transferred the licence for the Patriot King to William Wright. It is thought that Wright held the lease until 1857 at which time the remaining 18 months of the lease was put up for sale (The Cornwall Chronicle 11 April 1857).  It appears that Mr John Duffell took up that offer as The Cornwall Chronicle of 23 May 1857 states “Dr Wigan has commenced the practice of his profession at Evandale, and will be found at his rooms, at Mr. Duffell’s, the Patriot King Hotel, from 8 to 11 in the morning.

Another advert in The Courier on 28 June 1858 shows that Mr Williatt put the hotel out for lease for 5 years and Mr Duffell also took up this lease.  John Duffell was still licensee in 1862 although a newspaper of the day gave his name as Duffett.  By 1871, his wife, Dinah Duffell had become licensee and would remain so until at least 1874.

In December 1873, Mrs Dinah Duffell, pleaded guilty to having an illicit still in her possession, but in extenuation said she was not aware that it was a still. After more than a decade at a pub, it was highly likely she knew what a still was and what it looked like.  She was fined £10 and costs.

In 1884, the property, then known locally as Duffell’s Hotel was put up for sale but apparently was not sold and remained in the Williatt estate.  A notice published in the Launceston Examiner of 24 June 1876 by Richard Chugg of the Macquarie Hotel tells us “NOTICE.–As Mrs Duffell has closed the hotel, known as the Patriot King, the undersigned will provide dinners, etc. for the accommodation of the public attending the sales at the above place.”

In the 1890’s the house became the home of David Collins and his family.  He was at one time, Warden of Evandale and later became Council Clerk.  Karl von Stieglitz states that the Collins family occupied the home for 60 years, however, we know from the Examiner of 8 Aug 1912 that the family did not initially own the property.  It was in this year that the estate of the late John Williatt was again put up for sale; “FOR SALE

The following desirable lots, situated in High-street

Lot 4, occupied by Mr. David Collins, 3a. 2r 29p.; large Brick House and Brick Stables; weighbridge on this lot.

Lot 5 “Ingleside,” occupied by Mrs. Hawley, 3a. 1r. 29p.; comfortable W.B. Cottage, Brick Stable, Outhouses; Fruit, Vegetable, and Flower Gardens.

Lot 6-Cottage and Land, 2a. 0r. 16p., adjoining “Ingleside.” Lots 5 and 6 are offered together.

                                Summary of Licensees of Patriot King William IV

1832 – 1840 John Williatt
1840 – 1842 Eleanor Perkins
1842 – 1843 John Williatt
1843 – 1849 Thomas Fall
1849 – 1853 John Williatt
1853 – 1857 William Wright
1857 – 1871 John Duffell
1871 – 1874 Dinah Duffell

Pubs and Publicans – The Macquarie Hotel

The Macquarie Hotel was located on the corner of White Hills Road (Barclay Street) and Macquarie Street and said by von Stieglitz to have been built around same time as Royal Oak (1840).  Now the establishment may have been built around this time, but it is likely that it was later, because at a Licensing Board meeting in December 1861 a new license was granted to Mrs. Richards for “a house to be called the Macquarie Hotel”.

The hotel was destroyed by fire on 14 August 1887 so it had a relatively short life.  The Daily Telegraph of 15 August reported the fire this way “The Macquarie Hotel was totally destroyed by fire at 7 o’clock this morning. The building was empty except the large room, which was used by the Evandale Brass Band to practice in, and some of their forms and seats were destroyed. Mr Webber’s water-cart came in time to save the adjoining shop, and the local fire brigade worked well under the direction of the police.”  This report suggests it was not operating as a hotel at this time. 

There was some surprise around town at the time that the fire was not being investigated.  It had previously been deliberately set on fire but the flames had been extinguished. The newspaper, The Tasmanian, of the 20 August that year reported “The whole building except the brick walls was consumed in about two hours. The building belonged to Mr. R. W. Chugg, and was insured for its full value.” 

Ann Richards is known to have operated the hotel from 1862 till 1870 but she did not own it.  Solicitors were instructed by Mr. W. Atkin, Executor to the Estate of the late Wm. Richards, to sell by auction, at their Rooms, on Monday, 20th instant, at twelve o’clock, “that well-known property at Evandale, the Macquarie Hotel, with cottage at the corner of Cambock and Macquarie Streets. The Hotel which is in good repair contains 12 rooms, one of which is 41 x 16 feet, suitable for meetings or concerts, detached stable and outbuilding. The cottage contains four rooms, substantially built.  The land has a frontage on White Hills Road of 250 links, and on Macquarie Street of 200 links.  Title Guaranteed.  Terms at sale. The above property must be sold.” (Launceston Examiner 2 Feb 1865)

There is mention of the hotel in 1867 where an event was catered for and reported in the newspaper. “The large room at the Macquarie Hotel was densely crowded, and the applause was rigorous and genuine.”  (The Cornwall Chronicle 21 Sep 1867)

In December 1871, Phillip Mullane was granted a renewal of his licence for this hotel, so we know it was licensed in 1871 and 1872. The licence was also renewed in December 1873 for 1874.

In May 1874 a former policeman Peter Smith made an application to transfer the licence.  This application was refused on the grounds of poor character.  The licensee at this time was likely Phillip Mullane but it is not apparent if it was also owned by him. (We know from latter reporting that the land was at one time owned by Mr Barrett.) Smith had commenced the purchase of the property and now he was seeking the licence to operate the hotel.

It was a perilous situation; he had paid money for a hotel he could not legally run.  Therefore a subsequent application was made to the annual licensing bench in by Smith in December 1874.  “Messrs J. Whitehead and R. H. Douglas constituted the licensing bench here on Tuesday, and they renewed all the existing licenses. Mr Peter Smith applied for a new license for the Macquarie Hotel.  Mr Whitehead left the bench, and declined to consider the application. Mr Douglas could not constitute himself a licensing bench, and he also retired.” (The Cornwall Chronicle 4 December 1874) 

By May 1875, Peter Smith was before the Court of Bankruptcy in Launceston. “Before my bankruptcy I kept the Macquarie Hotel, Evandale. I was to pay £650 for the hotel to Mr Atkins, as agent for the owners. I paid £100 on account of the purchase. I gave up possession in January to Mr Richard Chugg on condition that he would arrange with Mr Atkins to take it on the same terms that I had bought it.” (Weekly Examiner 22 May 1875)

The two fires mentioned above where not the only fire to have occurred here.  The Cornwall Chronicle 3 February 1875 reports “Fire at Evandale.— On Saturday night about 11 o’clock a stable in the rear of the Macquarie Hotel, at Evandale, caught fire and could not be extinguished until it burnt down, destroying a valuable horse and a ton and a half of hay.” The horse belonged to Mr Richard Chugg.

Chugg continued to operate the Hotel through 1876 as attested by the following from the Launceston Examiner of 1 April 1876.  “PIGEON MATCH AT EVANDALE.  (From our own Correspondent.) A capital day’s sport was enjoyed by lovers of the gun at Evandale on Wednesday, the centre of interest being a much talked of match between two well known cracks, Messrs W.. Russell and Jas. Rose, for £25 aside. There were a large number of visitors from both town and country present on the ground, the spot chosen being in a paddock not far from the Macquarie Hotel, Mr R. Chugg having the management of the necessary details for the shooting. Mr Chugg had a refreshment booth on the ground and provided an excellent dinner at the hotel for the visitors after the conclusion of the sport.

In May 1877, Chugg’s licence was transferred to Alexander Wilson (The Hobart Town Gazette 22 May 1877).

The Hotel ceased to operate sometime during or after 1878.  This is known because a licence was issued to Alexander Wilson for 1878 (The Hobart Town Gazette 15 January 1878), however, a local correspondent for the town reported in the Launceston Examiner of 18 Nov 1879 “I understand an attempt will be made to get a license for the old Macquarie Hotel. We, the public of this municipality, do not require any more houses of refreshment of this kind—just now, at any rate.

The large room of the hotel was still in use for functions in 1884 because a wedding reception was known to be held in the hotel in February of that year. (The Mercury 26 Feb 1884)

The land was subsequently cleared after the fire and in 1885 Visitors to Evandale were encouraged “if they wish to note the many improvements that are being pushed forward in the building line, ought not to neglect to take a walk or drive round in the locality of the old Macquarie Hotel. They will there see the commodious premises lately erected by Mr E. Atkins. The ground on which they stand once belonged to the late Mr Barrett, and the building is a striking contrast to the former bare paddock.(Daily Telegraph 23 Jun 1885)

                                Summary of Licensees of the Macquarie Hotel

1861 – 1870 Ann Richards
1871 – 1874 Phillip Mullane

Pubs and Publicans – The Jolly Farmer Inn

The Hobart Town Courier of 3 October 1829 provides a list of persons to whom certificates for Public House Licenses for Cornwall were granted by the bench of Magistrates.  This list included Mr J Collins for the Jolly Farmer, South Esk River.   However the Colonial Times of 20 November 1829 states that a Public House Licence in the County of Cornwall was granted to George Collins, for the Jolly Farmer, South Esk River.

George Collins lived on Collin’s Hill it what is now Briar Lane Cottage.

This makes the Jolly Farmer the first licensed premises in the town.  It was not to last however.  The Hobart Town Courier of 9 January 1830 tells a story of  “a regular pitched battle” that was fought on 30 December 1829, “near the public house kept by Mr. Collins between James Glew, a man well known by the lovers of pugilism in New South Wales and John Williams, the champion of this place”.  By this report, “upwards of 700 persons, a greater concourse of people perhaps than was ever assembled before on such an occasion in this island”, witnessed the event.  Even the constables from Launceston did not try to have the pugilists desist, the prisoners to return to their masters’ deserted farms, and the rest of the mob to disperse”  Indeed, “that guardian of the public peace, it appears, was busily employed making bets much against appearances, and it is said (that being in the secret) he made a good job of it, for it is the public opinion that it was a sold battle or what is called by the fancy a cross fight, but so artfully had the plan been laid, and so successfully executed, that not only several hundred pounds but thousands are said to have been won and lost, and that cattle and horses have also changed owners upon the occasion”.

The article goes on to state “We trust the ringleaders of this disgraceful occurrence will be punished as they deserve, and if any man clothed with authority, has forgot himself so far as the constable alluded to seems to have done, that justice will be awarded him for the sake of example to others”.  Such justice may have been afforded to George Collins as the Launceston Advertiser of 20 September 1830 states “the Magistrates have granted licenses to three new applicants, and have refused only one license, viz.. Mr. George Collins, near Gibson’s ford, which license they refused to renew.”

                                Summary of Licensees of Jolly Farmer

1829 – 1830 George Collins