Pubs and Publicans – Royal Oak Hotel

The first licensee was John Morrison.  Colonial Times of 9 Nov 1844 stated that Mr Morrison had applied for a licence (22 September 1844) to keep an inn at Evandale but it was refused “on account of not being wanted, in the opinion of the Justices”. That report goes on to say the case came on again on but the decision was “deferred until the 22nd, when no doubt, having heard the decision on this side in Mr. Bonney’s favour, their Worships will grant the applications.”  While details of the decision on 22nd have not been found, we know that Morrison held the licence in 1845 so we can assume it was granted.  He held the licence until 1852 when he died on 11 May 1852 at the age of 44. His wife, Eleanor Morrison took over the licence that same year.  Mrs Morrison is known to have transferred the licence to Mr Abraham Banks in February 1853 (Launceston Examiner, February 10, 1853).

Mr Banks held this licence until 1871, at which time “Richard Hood was granted permission to sell liquors in the Royal Oak hotel under the licence held by Abraham Banks, until the next licensing meeting”.

In 1855, Mr Banks was involved in an interesting case, one considered of considerable importance to all public house licensees, had it been successful. It was “an information” laid by A. T. Collett Esq. against Mr. Banks, at the Police office in Evandale.  “It involved having refused to receive the horse of a traveller, not being a guest at his inn, on Sunday last, the 7th January. The circumstances were these: Mr. Collett, who resides about two and a half miles from the township, drove to Evandale in his gig for the purpose of attending divine service, when he found Bank’s yard gate locked and secured, and was refused admission by Banks, and he was compelled to put up his horse at a friend’s place. There was a full attendance of magistrates (six), who unanimously dismissed the information, contending that Banks was perfectly justified in refusing to receive on Sunday any but travellers, and that persons coming to church could not be so designated. Another information against Banks for refusing to admit Mr. Collett into his licensed house on the Same day, in his capacity as a Justice of the Peace, arising out of the former case, was withdrawn by Mr. Collett.”

Upon obtaining the licence from Mr Banks, Mr Richard Hood soon set about leasing the business to someone else.  On 9 October 1871, he advertised “To BE LET BY TENDER-That well known business public house known as the Royal Oak Inn, Evandale. Tenders to be sent in on or before November 1st , 1871. Not bound to accept the highest or any tender. Apply to Mr R. Hood, near Trafalgar, Evandale.”  It is not known how successful this attempt was but we do know that Hood remained licensee until August 1874 at which time he transferred it to Elizabeth Hanney.  The Hobart Town Gazette of 18 January 1876 shows that Hanney was granted a licence until 31 December of that year.  The following year, the Hobart Town Gazette of 16 January 1877 states that a licence was now granted to Thomas Trant until 31 December that year.  However, The Tasmanian 15 December 1877 carried an advertisement that stated “WANTED TO BE KNOWN. – THAT I, the undersigned, have taken the Royal Oak Hotel, Evandale, lately in the occupation of Thomas Trant, and I beg to solicit a fair share of patronage. Good accommodation, stabling, etc. The best wines and spirits always on hand. – HENRY VINEY, Proprietor.” 

Viney held the licence until 29 May 1880 and the Hobart Town Gazette states that the licence was transferred from Viney to William Banks (1 June 1880).  That licence was renewed for 1881.

Mr Hood took back the licence in 1881 and held it till 1886.  In September that year he advertised to let or sell the Royal Oak and records show that George Herbert Wills successfully applied for licence and initially permission to continue selling liquor from Hood’s Royal Oak. Mr Wills continued as licensee until July 1887, at which time, Mr. Benjamin Cutler made an application to transfer the licence.  Cutler was then granted permission to sell under Wills’ license until next licensing day (normally December). 

It seems that Mr Cutler was very quick to get himself into the community by making his hotel available for many social events.  For example he hosted a pigeon shoot in 1889 and used his licence to set up booths at various sporting events.  For example, in 1887 he provided a scoring board for the pigeon shooting match at Longford and then “At the Evandale Races in May 1888, Mr. Benjamin Cutler, of the Royal Oak, Evandale, had a booth on the ground and did a brisk business, and also provided an excellent luncheon.” (Launceston Examiner 3 May 1888).  In September 1889 Cutler is also reported to have provided an excellent refreshment and luncheon booth at a ploughing competition of the Evandale Ploughing Association.  Something he repeated in 1889.  He did not confine himself to sporting events; in 1889 he provided dinner and refreshments to the Morven St. Andrew’s Benefit Society at the Council Chambers and then in 1890 he hosted a dinner for the anniversary of the Benefit Society at his hotel.

Mr Cutler held the licence until 1892.  The Launceston Examiner of 14 Oct 1892 states that a solicitor, Mr J J Rumpff of Patterson Street Launceston had “for sale the tenant rights, furniture, goodwill, and effects” for the Royal Oak.

In November 1893, Samuel Colgrave applied for a Justices’ Certificate approving of him receiving a public-house licence.  This may or may not have been granted.  The Mercury newspaper of Hobart on 6 December 1893 records that “Evandale Licensing Bench has decided to close Royal Oak Hotel, on the ground that it is not required for public convenience.

                                Summary of Licensees of Royal Oak Hotel

1844 – 1852 John Morrison
1852 – 1853 Eleanor Morrison
1853 – 1871 Abraham Banks
1871 – 1874 Richard Hood
1874 – 1876 Elizabeth Hanney
1877 – 1877 Thomas Trant
1877 – 1880 Henry Viney
1880 – 1881 William Banks
1881 – 1886 Richard Hood
1886 – 1887 George Herbert Wills
1887 – 1892 Benjamin Cutler
1892 – 1893? (possibly) Samuel Colgrave

Pubs and Publicans – The Imperial Inn

Karl Von Stieglitz (1946) suggests the Imperial Inn was the first “inn” in Evandale but was never licensed.  This author states that it was owned and built by John Williatt (1792 – 1875) who subsequently established the second licensed establishment in the town, the Patriot King William IV in 1832. 

Von Stieglitz asserts the Imperial Inn was later called Ingleside.  It had been a comfortable home in its day but had fallen into disrepair and was eventually demolished and only the stables remain.  Von Stieglitz reports that during demolition, “reminders of its original use, including the Imperial Inn sign, were found, and among the litter under the floor was one of the old fashioned, square, black gin bottles, still corked and full to the neck with gin.  In his surprise at this discovery, the man at work on the job dropped his hammer on to the bottle, and then to his horror saw its contents slowly gurgle away in the dust, leaving behind only a tantalising aromatic smell.”

New evidence now casts doubt on the existence of the Imperial Inn.  Mr Williatt did not own the land encompassing Ingleside Homestead until after the Patriot King was established and if the Imperial Inn was operated by a previous owner, then it would have been nothing more than an opportunistic sly grog shop and likely not to have been as brazen as to display an advertising sign.  Licences to operate a public house were required from at least 1816 (The Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter 6 Sep 1817).

Pubs and Publicans – Prince of Wales Hotel

The Prince of Wales was said to be built by William Sidebottom in circa 1836.  Karl von Steiglitz (1946) states that William Sidebottom came to Evandale in 1820 from England and “Soon after arrival he built a tannery and boot factory—which supplied Government and private contracts—with as many as 25 men working for him, on Fyfe’s Corner, as some of us still call it, opposite where Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Bean now live. This was a wooden building and later occupied by the Halls, who at one time tried to obtain a licence for it as an hotel, but failed. Later, Simon Fyfe had his stables there when he ran the coaches, but during his son’s (John) tenancy after Simon’s death, the old place was burnt down. William Sidebottom built a brewery at Evandale (William East was the last brewer), near the Clarendon Hotel. He also built the Prince of Wales Hotel and several other places from bricks made in the old brick kiln on Woodlands (now part of Andora), which were delivered on the site for 5/- a hundred.”)

At the annual licensing meeting in 1842, Miss Eleanor Perkins (who had been the licensee at the Patriot King William) and William Sutton both applied for licenses at Evandale.  The Launceston Courier on 5 September 1842 reports “The sense of the meeting was taken as to whether another house was required in the district. Upon a division, there were six on each side, and the Chairman decided in favour of a second house. The respective merits of the two applications were then discussed, and a decision given in favor of Mr. Sutton by the Chairman’s casting vote.

The Launceston Advertiser of 20 October 1842 carries the following advert from Mr Sutton: “PRINCE OF WALES, EVANDALE. – THE Undersigned, begs most respectfully to inform his friends and the public in general, that he has taken those commodious premises at Evandale, lately occupied by Mr. Sidebottom, which he has opened as an Hotel. The premises having undergone a thorough repair, will afford every accommodation to those who may favor him with a call.”

In 1843, Sutton was involved in a curious case reported in the Launceston Examiner 30 August 1843. “On Saturday week a novel kind of information was tried at the Evandale police office, before Robert Wales and James Cox, Esquires. The following is an outline of the case. A man named Peter Morgan, formerly in the employ of a settler at Norfolk Plains, went to the house of Mr. Sutton, who keeps the ” Prince of Wales” inn, at Evandale, and gave into the safe keeping of the landlady two promissory notes, one for £13 10s., the other for £51 10s. He remained at the house drinking for nearly a fortnight, representing himself (as there is reason to believe) as a man of property. As often as payment was requested he gave a cheque upon the bank, until having repeated this process three several times, Mr. Sutton thought it necessary to ascertain whether he possessed any funds at the bank upon which he so largely drew. He accordingly brought him in a gig to Mr. Henty’s, where he repeatedly said he had upwards of £300. Certainly the man must have been labouring under some hallucination of the kind, derived from the debauchery in which he had been indulging, for on arriving at the bank he walked in with all imaginable consequence, and asked for his £300! I The cashier, however, knowing nothing about him, he returned as he came, in company with Mr. Sutton to the “Prince of Wales” once more. He then gave the landlord a promissory note for £51, accepted by Mr. Mitchell, his former master. Morgan had previously taken away two colts, which, at his first coming to the house, he had left there. After giving Mr. Sutton the bill he went away, but returned soon afterwards and demanded back his two promissory notes. He was then informed that his account exceeded £110, and that both the notes would be retained as part payment, and that unless he gave up the colts summary proceedings would be adopted against him! The consequence of this threat was the present in formation against Mr. Sutton, for taking a promissory note in payment for liquor instead of the current coin of the realm, contrary to the act of council. The bench considered the case fully made out, and fined Sutton in the extreme penalty of £50, exclusive of costs. Mr. Douglass, who appeared in his behalf, gave immediate notice of appeal.”

It is quite likely that because of this case, Sutton lost his licence. We do know that Sutton owed money to Mr Sidebottom because The Cornwall Chronicle of 19 Aug 1843 advertised a sale “Sidebottom v Sutton.  – BY MR. FRANCIS. – On the Premises, known as the Prince of Wales public-house, Evandale, on THURSDAY next, the 24th August, at 1 o’clock precisely, under distraint for rent, unless this execution is previously satisfied, – ONE Horse and Gig, two Colts, two Cows, and one Calf – also – The Household Furniture, consisting of horse hair bottom chain, tables, bedsteads, bed and bedding, kitchen utensils, etc. – Terms – Cash.”

In September 1843, the licence was granted to Patrick Walsh.  “Some argument took place respecting the granting of this license, but it was ultimately carried, on the consideration that two licensed houses were

better than only one, to prevent monopoly” (The Cornwall Chronicle 2 September 1843).  The following year, the licence to Walsh was renewed (The Cornwall Chronicle 7 September 1844).  As owner of the establishment, this licence was transferred to Mr Sidebottom in May 1846 according to The Cornwall Chronicle Sat 9 May 1846 and Launceston Advertiser 7 May 1846.  However, the Cornwall Chronicle of 1 August 1846 then states that an application was made to transfer the licence from Sidebottom to William Peck.  The transfer was reported as allowed in The Britannia and Trades’ Advocate on 13 August 1846 on 3 August.

However, the Cornwall Chronicle of 2 September 1846 states that at a hearing before Justices, a certificate to apply for renewal of a licence as refused because “William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale.—Badly conducted house and a dealer in licenses.”  (Peck had only one month earlier transferred his licence for the Plough Inn in Evandale to take up the Prince of Wales.)

Peck must have been able to overcome this set back because he did hold the licence for the Prince of Wales from 1846 to 1848.

John King was the next licensee, holding the licence until 1852.  It is known that consideration of an application from Mr George Smith, for the Prince of Wales Inn, Evandale, formerly kept by Mr. King, was postponed until the 16th September 1852 but only after the clerk of the peace read a letter from the police magistrate of Morven, recommending the rejection of the applicant on the grounds that “had he been a man of respectable character, he might have obtained certificates of character from several gentlemen, residents on the Nile.”

Mr. Douglas, solicitor, stated that the applicant had resided some years on the Nile, and by a course of frugality, and honest industry, had collected a sum of money sufficient to embark in the business of a publican; he was considered, however, on hearsay evidence and idle rumours, as unfit for that business; although there was nothing tangible against him. He (Mr. Douglas) begged an adjournment, in order that be might produce satisfactory certificates of Mr. Smith’s character.

The Cornwall Chronicle of 18 September 1852, reports that at the re-scheduled hearing Robert Wales, the Assistant Police Magistrate for Morven was reported to have said — “My principal reason for opposing the license is because I consider the applicant incapable of keeping an orderly house; I have known Smith thirteen years, and in my opinion he is unqualified for the business of a licensed victualler; I have no documentary evidence against him, but could, if I were disposed, call up reminiscences anything but creditable to him. Besides, public opinion is against him, and the Magistrates of Morven have protested against his holding a license; applicant had recently conducted a tap nominally for Mr. King — but in his (Mr. Wales’) opinion, virtually for himself; the house since then had been badly conducted.

But Mr Douglas, acting on behalf of Smith discharged his duty fearlessly; “even though Magistrates spoke under excited feelings, were he right he would not submit. Mr. Wales knew his client was being deprived of a license on idle rumour; it was usual for the police to bring forward data on which to condemn a man, not mere hearsay evidence; the fact of his client having resided fifteen years in one district, without having incurred the displeasure of any one — without even being known to any one — was prima facie proof of the unimpeachableness of his character. Mr. Smith had not been fairly dealt with, inasmuch as the sins of Mr. King had been visited on his devoted head. How, he would ask, was Mr. Smith accountable for Mr. King’ s neglect? If Mr. King had done wrong, why was he not punished? Surely they would not saddle his client with Mr. King’s imperfections.

Mr. Douglas was “in possession of a number of certificates which he felt convinced would prove his client worthy of holding a license; they were from persons, who knew Smith personally, and must have more weight than an ipse dixet (an assertion without proof) of individuals entirely unacquainted with him; he would lay the documents before the bench, leaving them to make their own impression. Mr. Douglas contended that the bench should adduce tangible proof before they refused his client’s application.

The newspaper then reports that Mr. Douglas then read favourable certificates from several people including George Collins, Jnr., Mr H Glover and John R Glover.  The report continues “Mr Wales said, with regard to the respectability of the certificates, he only knew of two in which he could place reliance, Mr. H. Glover’s, and Mr. Collin’s; although he did not wish to reflect on the private character of individuals, in the discharge of his magisterial duty he felt it incumbent on him to state that Mr. John R Glover was too dissipated in his habits to render his testimony worthy of belief; and he would simply enquire, why did not Smith procure recommendations from the Magistrate of the district? The fact of there being no magisterial recommendations proved him unworthy to be entrusted with, a licensed house.

Mr. Douglas — The magistrates of the district were unacquainted with the man, and consequently could not recommend him.

Despite Mr Douglas’ efforts, the panel was guided by Mr. Wales, and the vote was against Smith by a show of five to one – the application was refused.

In 1852, Mr Edward Davis advertises “Prince of Wales, EVANDALE.  E DAVIS, late of Perth, begs to inform his friends and the public in general, that having taken the above spacious premises, and been to great expense to put them in complete repair, trusts by civility, attention and moderate charges, to merit a portion of their patronage.  The beat of Wines, Spirits, and Malt Liquors, always on band, well aired beds, superior stable and an attentive ostler.  Dinners provided for large or small parties on the shortest notice.”   (The Cornwall Chronicle 18 September 1852)

In February 1855, Davis once again takes to the adverts to say that having been late of the Prince of Wales in Evandale, he has moved to the Australian Wine Vaults in Launceston, (The Cornwall Chronicle 17 February 1855).  It is suggested that Davis transferred the licence to Mr Hall in 1854 because in December of that year, Hall had his licence “renewed” for 1855.

Mr Hall has been recorded in the press of the time as Arthur Samuel Hall and Samuel Arthur Hall.  The family notice announcing the birth of a son in The Cornwall Chronicle on 31 January 1855 states that it was S A Hall.  It is known that Samuel Hall held the licence until at least 1858.

It is not known by the compiler who had the licence from 1858 to 1862 but it is likely to have been Samuel Hall and William Sidebottom, Jnr.  It is known that William Sidebottom Jnr held the licence in 1862 until August 1870, at which time, it was transferred to Robert Saunders (Launceston Examiner 18 Aug 1870).  Saunders then held the licence through to at least 1874.

Edward Hardman held the licence from at least 1883 until 1891. On 28 June 1891, Edward’s wife, Jane Harriett, had a son. Just 16 days later on 14 July she died at the age of 31.  This event must have had some impact of the decision to get out of the hotel, because in November of that year Michael Markey submitted an application for the licence.  On 9 November 1891, a correspondent of the Launceston Examiner (12 November 1891) reports that “Mr Michael Markey, of the Prince of Wales Hotel, is suffering from severe concussion of the brain, the result of a fall from a restive horse, and is in a critical state.  He died on 14 November at age 44. His widow, Elsie Markey took over the hotel and ran it until 1903.                          

                                Summary of Licensees of Prince of Wales

1842 – 1843 William Sutton
1843 – 1846 Patrick Walsh
1846 – 1846 William Sidebottom Snr
1846 – 1848 William Peck
1848 – 1852 John King
1852 – 1854 Edward Davis
1854 – 1862 Samuel Arthur Hall
1862 – 1870 William Sidebottom Jnr
1870 – 1875 Robert Saunders
1876 – 1880? Abraham Banks
1880 – 1881 John Waldron
At least 1883 – 1891 Edward Hardman
1891 – 1891 Michael Markey
1891 – 1903 Elsie Markey

Pubs and Publicans – Clarendon (Arms)

Thomas Fall built the Clarendon Hotel, starting in 1847, while he held the licence for the Patriot King.   In September 1849, Mr Fall attempted to transfer the licence he held for the Patriot King over to “premises lately erected by him”.  This application was refused on the ground that the transfer would be injurious to the proprietor of the Patriot King, Mr. Williatt.  The impasse was solved by considering Mr Fall as a new applicant and allowing Williatt to apply for transfer of Fall’s licence for the Patriot King back to himself.

Thomas Fall held the licence until his death on 4 September 1888.   The Colonist of 15 September 1888 reported the following: “The remains of the late Mr Thomas Fall were interred in the Church of England cemetery, the service being conducted by the Rev. J. Chambers. The funeral was well attended, notwithstanding that the day was cold and wet. The Rev. Archdeacon Mason, the Hon. W. Dodery, Messrs. W. Atkins and Maurice Nathan acting as pall-bearers. The deceased gentleman will be greatly missed on the township, as he was a resident of 50 years. There were very few houses here when he came to make Evandale his home, he was a large property holder here and in Launceston, and having only had two in family, they are left well provided for. He arrived in the colony in the barque Portland in 1832, the late Mr and Mrs J. Cox, of Clarendon, being also amongst the passengers. The vessel, it will be remembered, was wrecked at the Fourteen Mile Bluff. The deceased succeeding in saving Mrs Cox from a water’ grave, but her son was lost, the remains afterwards being interred at George Town. Mr Fall lost all he possessed by the wreck, but he commenced business in Launceston, and removed to Franklin Village, and finally settled at Evandale. After being in the colony a few years, he married a Miss Russell, cousin of Henry Russell, the celebrated composer and song writer. Although deceased had reached the age of 89 years, he could read without spectacles and write freely within a few days of his death. He never took an active part in politics, but was a shrewd observer and criticiser of passing events, and was charitable in his disposition.

After Fall’s death, and the rather long occupation of a single licensee, there was a succession of short tenure publicans.

Oscar Bottcher became the next licensee.  However, his tenure at the hotel ended abruptly when he died in 1889.  William Atkins, acting executor to Mr Bottcher, applied for renewal of the licence on 24 October 1889.

Walter Smith followed and he lasted only to 1892 when, in November 1892, Kate Nichols applied for a Justices’ certificate to allow her to apply for the licence to run the Clarendon.  However, the Launceston Examiner of 30 March 1893 carried the advert “TO LET-The Clarendon Hotel, Evandale, lately occupied by Mrs Nichols. This well known hostelry, partly furnished, is now being thoroughly renovated, and will be let to a suitable tenant on liberal terms. Apply W. ATKINs, River View, Evandale.

Launceston Examiner 6 April 1893 reported that an application to transfer the licence was made by William Atkins to Michael John Ryan and this was later granted in May 1893.  Michael Ryan held the licence through to the turn of the century.

The first recorded use of the current name “Clarendon Arms” located is in The Cornwall Chronicle of 26 July 1854.  However, there are many later recorded occurrences where the term “Arms” was not used.

                        Summary of Licensees of Clarendon Hotel

1849 – 1888 Thomas Fall
1888 – 1889 Oscar Bottcher
1889 – ? William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher
? – 1892 Walter Smith
1892? – 1893 Kate Nichols
1893 – 1893 William Atkins, acting executor to Bottcher
1893 – 1900+ Michael Ryan

Churches – St Andrews (Anglican) Church Evandale

In 1834, plans were finalised and St. Andrew’s Church of England was officially opened in 1837 by the Governor of Van Diemen’s Land, Sir John Franklin.  The building was used as a place of worship on Sundays and a school room during the week days. The new building was constructed with bricks which were obtained from the abandoned works of the Evandale-Launceston Water Tunnel. In addition the roof was covered in shingle.

There were two rooms, the chapel/school room and the master’s room. The building was situated at the end of Church Lane in what is now the back of the Rectory. The initial building was later used as a Sunday School before being demolished around 1910.

In October 1838, a larger Church of England was required with a petition requesting the Government assist in the erection of a more suitable building. Consequently work began on a new church in 1841. It was a red brick building with a square tower and the building was completed about 1844.

In 1869, discovery of large cracks were discovered which was caused by faulty foundations, and the church was finally demolished in 1871. The foundation stone for the present church was laid down on 30 November 1871 and building commenced using many of the original bricks. In May 17, 1872 the new church was consecrated and dedicated to St. Andrew.

St. Andrew’s Anglican (Church of England) Church